PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather washing..

tkc
11-26-2009, 11:13 PM
ok, I live in South Ga. not really a cold climate area, I was raised in upstate NY so I know what cold is. I have since adapted to the warm weather here... anyway..

How do you mobile guys up north keep warm water, or do you..?

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to warm up the washing in cold weather.. I have a 350 gallon tank on my mobile unit, I know i could fill it with hot water from my house, but then my power bill will probably be sky high..idk if there is anything i can do or not,,just asking...

thanks in advance for any ideas..

Showroom Shine
11-27-2009, 12:43 AM
I live in Ohio. It`s starting to get cold here. I carry 75 gallons of water and a Nomad Pressure washer,and also a Husky. The only thing I can suggest is a tank heater. It`s like a stinger,you put it right in the tank and plug it up. I do not have one because when it gets that cold,I only serve my client`s that have garages or buildings.

AeroCleanse
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I shut down my detailing business when it gets too cold, unless the owner has a heated garage, which for some car enthusiasts is a must. I wash with ONR all year long.

kaptain_zero
11-27-2009, 06:44 PM
When it comes to washing in the winter around here.... it had better be a well insulated and heated shop....... and don`t step outside with your coffee cup, if you do.... and trip, spilling your coffee....... this is what happens!

Hot Coffee in a Winnipeg Winter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgWRVrQgLYI)

Regards

Kaptain "Dang it, where did my coffee go again!??!?!" Zero

Scottwax
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
If you use ONR to wash cars, you typically only have to carry 4-5 gallons of warm water with you.

AeroCleanse
11-27-2009, 11:31 PM
If you use ONR to wash cars, you typically only have to carry 4-5 gallons of warm water with you.

Depends on how cold it is, at least for me. When its 25F or lower, its really hard to be motivated. That and for a detail, washing is only the first step in the process.

Scottwax
11-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Depends on how cold it is, at least for me. When its 25F or lower, its really hard to be motivated. That and for a detail, washing is only the first step in the process.

Under 35 or so, doing cars in a garage is the best option-which is a lot easier if you use ONR.

s7n7a7k7e
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I used to detail my vehicles in the loading dock of my old workplace when weekends were slow. It was great during the winter since the loading dock was closed and heated. I had no upper management, and we didn`t receive shipments on weekends, so the loading dock was my personal VIP parking space, lol. I could even see it on the full-color surveillance cameras from my office. God I miss that job sometimes. Now I`m a freelance graphic designer, and sit at my desk at home majority of the time. Love what I do, but at the same time, I kind of miss the relaxed setting I had at my old job, lol.

BobD
12-03-2009, 07:42 AM
You can get heating elements to keep your water warm in your tanks. At least I`m assuming they make them for 12 volt applications somewhere.