PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Compound Residue????

silvercookie
11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
So the other day i was bored and had a extra wrx spoiler laying around that was beat to **** and figured i would test some stuff on it.

i got some turtlewax fine polishing compound.

i threw some on a MF applicator and worked it in, but afterwards, after letting it haze, it wiped off clean, but then a few seconds later a white residue would appear.

then i got some quick detailer and sprayed the area and most of it came off but there were still some spots that it wouldnt come off unless you wiped it multiple times, and it seemed to spread.

then being the spoiler was crappy anyway i put some polish on a foam pad on a cheap pos rotary i had laying around and decided to see what happened.

well the same thing happened, a white residue, except this time it was much harder to get off.

what causes this? and is there a way to prevent it?

silvercookie
11-26-2009, 11:16 PM
anyone know?

tomwiller
11-27-2009, 03:41 AM
Very carefully sand the marks with wet sandpaper (use only ultra-fine waterproof sandpaper) until all marks are gone. If you have never done it before, try on some small spot to see how it works first. Now there is no mark, but the clearcoat has lost its shine; use polishing compound to restore the shine.

Hope that helps. :clap:

silvercookie
11-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Very carefully sand the marks with wet sandpaper (use only ultra-fine waterproof sandpaper) until all marks are gone. If you have never done it before, try on some small spot to see how it works first. Now there is no mark, but the clearcoat has lost its shine; use polishing compound to restore the shine.

Hope that helps. :clap:

that answer really has nothing to do with the question i asked.

imported_WhyteWizard
11-27-2009, 08:22 AM
So the other day i was bored and had a extra wrx spoiler laying around that was beat to **** and figured i would test some stuff on it.

i got some turtlewax fine polishing compound.

i threw some on a MF applicator and worked it in, but afterwards, after letting it haze, it wiped off clean, but then a few seconds later a white residue would appear.

then i got some quick detailer and sprayed the area and most of it came off but there were still some spots that it wouldnt come off unless you wiped it multiple times, and it seemed to spread.

then being the spoiler was crappy anyway i put some polish on a foam pad on a cheap pos rotary i had laying around and decided to see what happened.

well the same thing happened, a white residue, except this time it was much harder to get off.

what causes this? and is there a way to prevent it?

What you`re seeing as white residue is likely a mess of light scratches. They disappear when they`re wet but can be seen again when they dry. What you`re describing is typical of what happens when you use a diminishing abrasive and don`t stay with it long enough to take the scratches out that happened while the abrasive was breaking down.

Modern paints are, IMHO, too hard for those old school polishes. The scratch you put in with the abrasive when it`s fresh is too deep to remove with the broken down abrasive unless you go very, very light to start.

Robert

silvercookie
11-27-2009, 08:34 AM
What you`re seeing as white residue is likely a mess of light scratches. They disappear when they`re wet but can be seen again when they dry. What you`re describing is typical of what happens when you use a diminishing abrasive and don`t stay with it long enough to take the scratches out that happened while the abrasive was breaking down.

Modern paints are, IMHO, too hard for those old school polishes. The scratch you put in with the abrasive when it`s fresh is too deep to remove with the broken down abrasive unless you go very, very light to start.

Robert

i see.

but after wiping it a few times with a damp microfiber, after it dried it was there anymore.

imported_WhyteWizard
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Maybe it was reacting with the paint and bonding a bit but with effort was still removable. Hard to say actually.

Robert