PDA

View Full Version : Removing / Emulsifying Caked On CV Boot Grease/Dirt/Dust

pingable
11-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Alrighty.....

This would be a 1st for me and I`m not quite sure what chemical is best to attack this....meaning, let the chemical do the work for me, and I will supply the elbow grease as well.

I just picked up a set of wheels meant for winter duty. The previous owner did not realized he had a torn CV boot. Amazingly the front of this wheel is mint, which is a godsend, but the interior has this very dried up residue. Somewhat like a very hard tar mixture with brake dust and dirt in the mix .

I`m at a loss on what chemical I should use to do the intial cleaning to at least soften this stuff up. I guess I could try Tarminator as the 1st round...

Would love to hear some suggestions....

http://www.pingable.net/images/X5/87_1.jpg

http://www.pingable.net/images/X5/87_2.jpg

imported_Jakerooni
11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
try a steamer on that. Should be all you need.

pingable
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
This stuff is pretty hard...kinda like dried tar on exhaust tips situation.

While a steam cleaner IMO works great on my uber smooth uber gloss BBK and blasting all the brake dust in all the nooks and crannies, it doesn`t really cut it on brake dust that is embedded in the nooks and corners of some of my wheels.

Not sure how effective a steamer would be in this application.....I guess the full arsenal is coming out when I get a day to attack this.

Anomaly
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I`ve used WD-40 with a scrub brush with good success on my own vehicles rims. Might do the trick for you, too.

JohnKleven
11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, let`s think about this. To remove grease, I would use a degreaser.

pingable
11-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Can it be just that as simple with a degreaser...

I must by overthinking this...

let me give it a go with Tarminator and some heat (steamer) with a plastic scraper on standby...

pingable
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Stoners Tarminator FTW. In all my years, I have never had to get this aggressive but tarminator with a old kitchen spone (green side harsh but broken in) and plenty of hard scouring did the trick. Granted, while this was the backside....and I am sending them out to get powdercoated, I feel for you pros that actually do this with customers BAKED on dust...

I would never imagine getting as agressive on wheels like I did today...