PDA

View Full Version : Pads to use with m205

Pages : [1] 2

LincolnSquare
11-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I`m working on a 98` ford expedition with very neglected black paint. The vehicle is covered in swirl marks and I thought this would be a good chance for me to try a stronger polish. I decided to go with Meguiar`s m205. I`m currently using a Griot`s 6" random orbital w/ griot`s orange polishing pads. What would be a better pad to use with m205 that provides a good amount of cut?

Thanks for the help,

LincolnSquare

vtec92civic
11-21-2009, 02:32 PM
yellow pads or purple foamed wool. Chances are however if the paint is swirled really bad and has been neglected you are going to need something a lot stronger then M205.

m205 is a light to finishing polish. You may need something like M105 and then finish it down with M205

LincolnSquare
11-21-2009, 02:47 PM
So I should do something like

M105 with yellow LC pads or Meguiar`s burgundy cutting pads

followed up with

M205 with griot`s orange polishing pads (since I already have some)

Still Learnin
11-21-2009, 07:05 PM
remember you should always start with the least agressive method first... then work your way up! good luck with the detail and let us know how it went

LincolnSquare
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the tips, I`ll be sure to post a few pics when i`m finished

xconwrathx
11-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Are the Griot`s orange pads equivalent to LC orange?

If the paint is soft M205 might not finish perfectly on an orange pad, but it doesn`t sound like perfect correction is your goal, just improvement.

fergnation
11-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Throw the yellow LC pad in the trash and forget about it. You will have the worst nightmare on your hands if you let that pad touch the paint. I strip paint off wood with those damn pads.

If I was you, I might try the yellow Meg`s or (my favorite) Sonus pad and use the KB method with the 205 first. IF not go to the 105 with orange or yellow megs pad. Then step it down to the 205 on white LC or even stay with the yellow megs pad. Then another step with the 205 and finish pad.

But remember to throw that yellow LC pad in the trash!!

SuperBee364
11-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Throw the yellow LC pad in the trash and forget about it. You will have the worst nightmare on your hands if you let that pad touch the paint. I strip paint off wood with those damn pads.

If I was you, I might try the yellow Meg`s or (my favorite) Sonus pad and use the KB method with the 205 first. IF not go to the 105 with orange or yellow megs pad. Then step it down to the 205 on white LC or even stay with the yellow megs pad. Then another step with the 205 and finish pad.

But remember to throw that yellow LC pad in the trash!!

:werd::buffing:

Accumulator
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Are the Griot`s orange pads equivalent to LC orange?

NO. As in, *NO*. They`re quite different, less cut but much better finishing. Very well-suited to M205, but that stuff *is* just a finishing polish.

.. I decided to go with Meguiar`s m205. I`m currently using a Griot`s 6" random orbital w/ griot`s orange polishing pads. What would be a better pad to use with m205 that provides a good amount of cut?

The Griot`s orange is as aggressive as *I* like to use with M205. Others like it with a LC orange, but IME it doesn`t cut much better and finishing out much worse.

..So I should do something like

M105 with yellow LC pads or Meguiar`s burgundy cutting pads

followed up with

M205 with griot`s orange polishing pads (since I already have some)

Yeah, but as noted, don`t use the LC yellow. Stick with LC orange or PFW or a Meg`s cutting pad.

jfelbab
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Despite #205 being basically a finishing polish, I have been able to remove a ton of swirls with it in just a couple passes. This product works long and well and finishes up really nicely.

Definitely a good idea to try #205 first then if needed move to #105.

LincolnSquare
11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Alright, thanks for all the help guys. I postponed the 98` expedition detail to next weekend. The swirl marks are pretty bad, but I`ll listen to the pros and start off with m205 w/ griot`s orange pads. If that doesn`t remove many swirls, Ill try a more aggressive approach and use m105 w/ Meg`s Soft Buff 2.0 Cutting pad, followed up with m105.

Hey, Moe!
11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Accumulator-did the combo of M205 and a Griot`s orange pad satisfy you enough to go to an LSP?

I used M205 with an LC tangerine pad to take care of the minor swirls in my BMW (through a miscommunication, the dealer prepped it when new, but they did a decent job-much better than the norm). I followed with PO85RD on a softer pad (one of the Sonus DAS pads), and was quite satisfied.

If M205 finishes nicely with a Griot`s orange pad, that would be good info, because I still have one!

Accumulator
11-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Accumulator-did the combo of M205 and a Griot`s orange pad satisfy you enough to go to an LSP?

Yeah, but I should add a "but just sorta.." disclaimer.

I went from M205/Griot`s orange to LSP on my Yukon XLD, and there isn`t enough clear left on that for *any* unnecessary abrasion. But I can`t help but think how a pass with something from Menzerna woulda *really* finished it off right.

Nobody else would *ever* look at it and think it needs improvement though.

If your concern is mainly about the pads, I don`t see any improvement over the Griot`s orange from the LC Black; *IME* they finish out the same unless the paint is very soft. BUT, I hear the Meg`s black finishing pad might bring something special to the table :nixweiss

With polishes other than M205, via DA the Griot`s finishes out remarkably well for a pad that seems so porous and firm. It simply does fine for me, though I like it a *LOT* better via Flex than I do via PC (just too big for that IME). Via PC I *have* had issues when using it on very soft paint.

I used M205 with an LC tangerine pad to take care of the minor swirls in my BMW (through a miscommunication, the dealer prepped it when new, but they did a decent job-much better than the norm). I followed with PO85RD on a softer pad (one of the Sonus DAS pads), and was quite satisfied.

I bet the PO85RD contributed to the final look more than any difference in pads. Glad they didn`t mess it up too badly.

If M205 finishes nicely with a Griot`s orange pad, that would be good info, because I still have one!

Oughta work out about the same as the LC Tangerine. If it does *NOT*, please post something about the difference. IMO it`s just a question of whether somebody is satisfied with how M205 (rather than the pad) finishes out on a particular paint. Usually, a remotely normal person would think it`s just fine, but, well....you know ;)

Hey, Moe!
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I`ll give M205 a try with my Griot`s pad in the spring, and let you know. Polishing here is a closed shop for the winter. I`m working with a friend who owns a yard-care business and bought a storage building, in order to store the BMW for a while (off of insurance for three months 12/1).

As I made an appointment with my local mechanic (four blocks away, qualified and honest, takes care of my kids` cars) to mount my new set of Blizzaks on the Focus for the winter, he looked at me and said, "If that doesn`t work out for you, let me know. I have a 50`x50` garage for the motorhome (PSU tailgate) and my four-wheelers. I can get your BMW in there."

How nice is that?

Accumulator
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey, Moe!- Wow, sounds like you have the winter storage issue well in hand!

I trust you`re keeping fire/theft insurance on it while it`s stashed away, and are taking the appropriate measures (battery charger, overinflating the tires or somesuch, etc.).

The Blizzaks oughta be nice on the Focus too, I have those on both the MPV and my wife`s A8.