PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Sound Question

Rebelranger
11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
I tried to find the answer to this but can`t seem to locate anything so here goes:

How loud are some of these buffers? For example I have a flex on the way and I live in a very quiet area. When I work on my computers and cut into the case. My neighbors all know it.

If I`m going to be in my carport for several hours working with a DA (Griots, PC, Flex) am I going to upset some of my more senior neighbors who complain about noise?

I`m thinking maybe the question is which is the quietest of the buffers?

Is there such a place that I can go and rent a spot to work on my detailing (nor Cal Bay Area)?

:think:

vtec92civic
11-19-2009, 11:52 PM
so you live in a house with a carport or do you have a garage? Buffers arn`t super quiet but it isn`t like someone is trying to cut a tree down. The sound is easily masked with a ipod and some earphones so i can`t see why someone would get upset over it unless you are buffing at like 3am then i can understand that.

Rebelranger
11-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I have a garage that... um.... per the wife.... errr um..... I`m not allowed to work in...

So I have a side port that I do all my tinkering in....

I seriously doubt any of my close neighbors have an ipod maybe an old RCA. But they have made comments when I was doing some work at 6 PM...

howareb
11-20-2009, 01:21 AM
The Makitas are about the quietest that I know of.

I have no experience with eithers of these, but they may be as quiet; the Flex L3403 Rotary, or the Hitachi FLT-SP18VAH.

dennn
11-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Flex rotary vs Makita

YouTube - Flex vs. Makita

Makita is quieter than the FLEX. The DA`s are loud.

NotZeroSix
11-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Porter Cable 7424XP- At speed 6, this machine is loud as hell. Theres no way I can do any correction during the evening hours without having complaints. Not only that, it vibrates like no tomorrow. I hate that thingly feeling after each sectional pass. Definately needed another machine to replace this one.

Flex 3401 VRG- I got this 3 weeks later to find another alternative to the PC 7424XP. This was a night and day difference. Not only it was powerful but it gave me a relaxing feeling from the vibration. A definite step up from the PC. For noise, it was much much quieter compared the to PC. However, there is this noise after turning off the machine that made a spark noise. But I was able to do some correction during after hours without annoying anybody.

Makita 9227c- This machine is my favorite buffer of all. At 900-1500 it is very very quiet. Also there was no vibration which made polishing a breeze. If you need something to get work faster, quieter, and longer this is the machine for the job.

For noise comparison, check here.

YouTube - Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ)

YouTube - Flex vs. Makita (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chnpMGnSxPY)

BobD
11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
The PC is loud. I think the quietest rotary I`ve used has been the Makita and the quietest dual action has been the Cyclo.

Street5927
11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
All in all, they are definitely not louder than any lawnmower, leafblower, weed eater, etc...if that sheds any light on the situation.

imported_Dave1
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I have a garage that... um.... per the wife.... errr um..... I`m not allowed to work in...

If you mow grass at your place the neighbors shouldn`t mind a PC.........

As far as your garage, your wife is going to have to compromise a tad bit......

The best place to polish is in the garage and it will be quiet if the door is closed.....

Make sure you clean up afterwards and take the Mrs. out for dinner later in your freshly detailed auto and everyone comes out a winner......

Good luck........:xyxthumbs

Jokeman
11-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Wow! That would not fly with me.