PDA

View Full Version : NEW to the business

xtremesuperduty
11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey guys I`m new here and new to detailing, I`m located near Pittsburgh Pa and just starting a detailing business, I have the proper insurances, large shop and great staff but one dealer we are looking to work with wants us to have our own plates to transport the vehicles to our shop is this common? some thing like a dealer plate? necessary?

vtec92civic
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
it is to my understanding that it is the dealers responsibility to provide a dealer plate. It`s their vehicle being driven/transported to your detail place for work . . . . it is not your responsibility to provide such a thing.

Here is some info on it:

Sec. 244(1). "A dealer owning any vehicle of a type otherwise required to be registered under this act may operate or move the vehicle upon the highways without registering each such vehicle if the vehicle displays, in the manner prescribed in section 225, 1 special plate issued to the owner by the secretary of state. For the purposes of this subsection, "dealer" shall include any employee, servant or agent of the dealer."

Sec. 244(3). "The plates described in this section shall not be used on service cars or wreckers which are being operated as an adjunct of a licensee`s business. . ."

Proper Uses of Vehicles Bearing Dealer Plates Include:

Employees, servants, or agents of a dealer may operate a vehicle owned by a dealer for any purpose, provided that the vehicle is not a "service vehicle." This group of permissive users includes the dealer, full and part-time employees, and authorized agents. Examples of proper use of dealer plates on vehicles include:

Dealer-owned vehicles being driven to and from repair facilities, storage lots, and other locations where vehicles are being held prior to sale.

Dealer-owned vehicles being moved to locations where they may be bought or sold.

Dealer-owned vehicles driven by employees, servants or agents, or family members for any use except as a service vehicle.

xtremesuperduty
11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
That is also what i was assuming but they told us, no deal on picking up a car today with out our plate, he said it would be his insurance with his plate but our insurance covers any vehicle we move no matter whose plate is on it

vtec92civic
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
That is also what i was assuming but they told us, no deal on picking up a car today with out our plate, he said it would be his insurance with his plate but our insurance covers any vehicle we move no matter whose plate is on it

exactly. if they don`t have their facts straight it might be a good idea to stay away from places like that. Your insurance will cover the vehicle.

Insurance & Dealer Plates are 2 totally different things.

They provide the plate for their vehicle.

You provide the insurance for your business to show their vehicle will be covered.

Should be the end of the story right there.