PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding

Street5927
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
About 2 years ago, I took my molded mud flaps off my Nissan Titan to make room for my lift and 35" tires. The problem lies herein...they are the factory mudflaps, and from driving it for about 2 years with them on, you can see an outline scratch of where the mudflaps were positioned. Although this is on the bottom (rocker panel) portion of the vehicle, it is still bothering me. I finally have some free time on my hands to actually clean up my vehicle`s a little, and wanted to wetsand out the scratch these left. It sounds easy, but the problem that I have and the question that I pose is this...the very bottom of the rocker panel where it curves underneath the truck has the protective coating on it (same color as the truck), but it`s not smooth...it is very textured. Do you think I can wet sand the scratch out of that part without smoothing out the "texture" of it too much and making it look different than the rest of the coating which runs along the entire bottom of the truck.

Here is an idea of what I am talking about. The scratch is hard to see in the pictures, but it cannot be buffed out...it will need to be wetsanded, eventhough it doesn`t appear to be the case. Also, don`t mind the adhesive, I still haven`t gotten around to removing all of that, either.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/street5927/UNDERCOATING.jpg

BobD
11-19-2009, 07:49 AM
I would not wet sand the textured area. I`m willing to bet you`d sand right through the paint on the high points of the texture.

Street5927
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I would not wet sand the textured area. I`m willing to bet you`d sand right through the paint on the high points of the texture.

Good point, and so simple, I feel stupid that I didn`t even think of that. Thanks!

BobD
11-19-2009, 08:11 AM
You could always try it at underneath and see though.

Street5927
11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I think I will take your advice, and not even chance it. I will just wet sand the smooth paint, and buff the entire area. It`s low, so it won`t make a huge difference, but I know it`s there...lol Maybe I can just mask it enough on the rough part that it will be less noticible.