PDA

View Full Version : pad cleaning question

cg-vette
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I just got a Flex package deal from autogeek and I am in the process of detailing my car. So far it works great and I have been very happy with the results. I wanted to see what people use to clean their pads. I know they make various pad cleaners but before I go and shell out some more money I wanted to see if there were any other options available. How about hot water and a mild soap? Or is it just going to come down to buying another product? Thanks!

vtec92civic
11-18-2009, 09:47 PM
hot water, a tooth brush and some dish soap.

a.k.a. Patrick
11-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I pretty much use Charliesoap on pads at home and on site........

imported_Jakerooni
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
if I`m on the job I use the system 2000 and a wheel spur of some sort. If I`m at the house I just toss them all in the washing machine.

Street5927
11-19-2009, 08:13 AM
While working, I regularly use the pad spur/pad brush, but when I am all done, I wash in warm water with hair shampoo. I don`t like to use dish soap, because it seems to suds a lot and clog the pores of the pads. The shampoo seems to do a good job removing any grime, wax, silicone, etc. that may be in the pad and does not seem to clog the pores of the pads. When I am done, I toss on my rotary and spin dry briefly, then place them into my pad storage container (basically a large rubbermaid container) to dry.

The only downfall to spin drying on a rotary is that the velcro backing on some of the pads begins to separate from the pad, making it useless. I have only had this happen twice, but just to make you aware, it could happen.

Dan
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I use dawn, it works great on most polishes. For LSP pads, I use dawn power disolver. It even makes NXT rinse right out of the pad.

fergnation
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Dishwashing soap vote here. I do think it dries the pads out over time though. But it works in minutes and time is money. Well atleast thats what people say.

cjbigcog
11-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I pretreat with PrepWash (1:1), after about an hour, wash with dawn dish soap. Some light scrubbing with a brush helps remove polish residue.

Atlantic Euro
11-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I use my carwash soap. Dish soap attacks the glue for the velcro backing over time. I`ll soak them in my wash bucket in hot soapy water if they are really dirty or dried.