PDA

View Full Version : musty smell?

tssdetailing
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I recently purchased an 02 s10 with 95k miles on it. It has all cloth interior, and it kinda has a musty smell. I have to give her a thorough cleaning yet b/c generally, she`s very clean on the inside. But I was wondering where I should target my cleaning and is there a product that can reduce that smell? I was thinking about shaking a box of baking soda on everything then vacuuming it up after a day, but let me know if there is a better method?

imported_Jakerooni
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
a better method would be to find the actual cause of the odor. Usually in the carpeting somewhere. Maybe under it. If the jute got damp it could be a good source for mildew and mold to start growing. Chances are though the source isn`t on top in a easily accessable area.

tssdetailing
11-18-2009, 09:18 AM
LOL of course not...So what should i do, clean the whold thing first, then see If i can hone in on a smell it the next day?

imported_Jakerooni
11-18-2009, 10:48 AM
that would be a good start.

JasonS
11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Musty odors can also come from the evaporator core and if so, can be resolved by treating the air conditioning system.

1Z Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html)

tssdetailing
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Musty odors can also come from the evaporator core and if so, can be resolved by treating the air conditioning system.

1Z Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html)

Tell your boy dwane to reply to my email and i`ll be happy to pick that up with a foam cannon :grrr

jrelh
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
The seats are cloth most likely too then I assume? If so, is it possible it can be the seats. Someone that had a tendency to work out and sweat a lot, and then just go straight into the car and sweat all over the seats?

tssdetailing
11-18-2009, 11:18 AM
i`m gonna swap `em for leather as soon as I can-but yes, it could be many things.

cjbigcog
11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I have encountered that same musty smell on a few cars. Prior to cleaning the carpets and seats, I use an odor bomb to help remove the smell. Works great.

BostonDuce
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Not to rain on your new purchase, but look up under the dash at the electrical terminals/ fuse box and see if you can spot any corrosion on some of the lower hanging connections; then look for water marks behind the kick panel trim- a sure sign that you have purchased a former u-boat.

BD

Quality Leather
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Another odor eliminator you can try is ohogwash.com. I have been using it for awhile with good success.