PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Gameplan

jasonrs2
11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I`m going to be detailing my 370Z next month and I was planning on washing with Meg`s Gold Class and claying with Meg`s Smooth Surface kit.

I also wanted to polish, seal and wax the car. However, my understanding from searching is that some (all?) polishes have some sort of abrassive characteristics. I was thinking about using Klasse AIO to polish/seal. Is Klasse safe for a noob or should i go with something else? Will it scratch anything if I don`t use it right? I just don`t want to f` anything up.

I will be using P21S or Gold Class for LSP. Does this sound like a good plan?

vtec92civic
11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
welcome. sounds like you have a great car. To answer some of your questions:

1. Not all polishes have abrassive characteristics. It all depends on your paint and its current condition. That will determin what is needed. If your vehicle is fairly new chances are you will be able to get out most all the defects with something like

Menzerna SIP, Power Finish or 106FF. If you are looking for a AIO type product you can use Klasse AIO or ZAIO (Zaino All In One)

I`m not sure what your budget is as far as supplies go but my LSP if i were you would be something like Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant. You won`t go wrong with that but P21s or Gold Class will work as well just won`t last as long as Blackfire

jasonrs2
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
yea, it only has 3000 miles so any defects are just baby swirls from washing. budget is no biggie, i want something that will look nice and glossy, last long, and protects the paint real well (am i being too picky?)

my understanding is that klasse aio is a polish AND sealant. is it abrassive at all? i want something with zero abrassives i can just apply on the entire car for depth (i read somewhere that some people make the mistake of over polishing the whole car and causing more damage than good.).

im new to this so im just a little confused when you say i can use klasse aio then blackfire sealant. arent they both sealants?

Accumulator
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
yea, it only has 3000 miles so any defects are just baby swirls from washing. budget is no biggie, i want something that will look nice and glossy, last long, and protects the paint real well (am i being too picky?)

Not too picky IMO.

my understanding is that klasse aio is a polish AND sealant.

IME it`s primarily a paint cleaner. Virtually no sealant to speak of, just enough to leave a nice slick surface.

is it abrassive at all? i want something with zero abrassives i can just apply on the entire car for depth (i read somewhere that some people make the mistake of over polishing the whole car and causing more damage than good.).

KAIO is nonabrasive on every paint I`ve used it on.

While I do agree about not overdoing the abrasion, it sounds to me like you`re going too far in the othe direction. Gentle abrasive polishing, done at reasonable intervals, won`t hurt anything. I have original-paint cars that have been polished as needed for many years and they`re still fine.

im new to this so im just a little confused when you say i can use klasse aio then blackfire sealant. arent they both sealants?

Again, the KAIO is really more of a cleaner and it`s sealant content is pretty minimal. It`s a good precleaner that can go under/before most other sealants and waxes.

I will be using P21S or Gold Class for LSP. Does this sound like a good plan?

I think you could do better than either of those. The P21S doesn`t last long and neither does the Gold Class.

I use use the Klasse Sealant Glaze over KAIO and it works fine. Or you could apply a Collinite wax over the KAIO, Collinite lasts longer than many sealants anyhow. Or, look into FK1000P. While I use numerous different LSPs, I`d recommend you choose from among those three. I currently have KSG over KAIO on one daily driver and FK1000P over KAIO on another, very good combos. I have different Collinite waxes on two other cars and zero complaints there either.

DM101
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Menzerna PO85RRD followed by Souveran would look awesome on your Z ....