PDA

View Full Version : Spot-X + Scotch Brite Sponge

Pages : [1] 2

My5ABaby
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I`m having trouble with build up on my windshield that I have yet to be able to remove. I`ve tried Ultimate Compound via UDM and terry cloth, Nu-Glass via UDM and terry cloth, clay, vinegar, and magic eraser. That said, I`m resorting to trying Spot-X. I`ve lost the "no scratch" pad that came with it that looks amazingly similar to a Scot-Brite sponge.

Anyways, question being would using a Scotch-Brite sponge with the Spot-X be an issue?

craigdt
11-17-2009, 04:59 PM
What sort of build up?

vtec92civic
11-17-2009, 06:19 PM
post pics if possible. I have seen what a scotch brite pad does to paint and glass. I would seriously steer faaaaaaar from that unless you want to potentially damage the glass.

My5ABaby
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Pics aren`t really necessary. It`s the normal buildup that windshields get. Also, i`m not inderstaning how steel wool isn`t harmful but a Scotch-Brite pad is. Anyone else have some input or more specific information?

Setec Astronomy
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
There`s like a hundred kinds of ScotchBrite. The problem is some of them have abrasive particles in them that can leave scratches. Steel wool is a bit different...myself, I never use steel wool on glass.

What size pad did you use with the UDM? There are specific glass polishes or you can use metal polish, these kinds of polishes have chemicals that will help dissolve the deposits, and you`ll want to use an aggressive 4" pad on the UDM for best results, something like a yellow or orange.

I would really shy away from the ScotchBrite or steel wool...some of these windshields today seem incredibly soft, notably the Hyundai ones.

vtec92civic
11-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Nu Glass should work fine. As for the pics . . . . .you`re asking for help yet at the same time you feel pics are not necessary? Glass has different buildup depending on where you reside. The more information you can provide the more accurate of a response you will receive from autopians.

Steel wool is only good for polishing up stuff not window buildup. Scotch brite pads are abrassive vs seel wool which is very fine and not nearly as abrassive as that.

Nu Glass should be worked in with something like a Orange CCS pad

My5ABaby
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
It looks like a spotted film on the glass. I live in TN and was in a polluted rain area for a long time. I dont think it`s etched. There doesn`t appear to be any buildup at the edge of the wiper blades motion (i.e. like when the drivers side blade is vertical). I don`t have access to a camera currently so that`s the best I can do.

I used a 5.5" pad so I`ll try a 4". I didn`t have any at the time but just got the adapter and pads in the mail about a week ago.

If I resort to Spot-X what would be a good applicator?

POPPAJ
11-19-2009, 07:44 AM
It would seem that any of the kits designed to remove scratches from glass would work.

My5ABaby
11-19-2009, 07:56 AM
I`ll keep that suggestion in mind but I`d like to try the products I have as I have a limited budget.

Street5927
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I know the type of film you are referring to. I have had success removing this type of film using Stoner`s Invisible Glass and Newspaper. Spray the SIG on very heavily (as it will foam lightly) and allow it to sit for about a minute. Spray it on again and allow to sit again for about a minute (do not allow it to dry to the glass, just keep it wet at all times). Then spray one more time and wipe with newspaper. When you are done, respray and clean with a good microfiber towel. Do this to both the inside and outside of the windshield. This technique inside will remove any plasticizer build up also. Don`t forget to spray and wipe down your wiper blades when you are done also, and your spots should be gone the next time to use your wipers.

Street5927
11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I know the type of film you are referring to. I have had success removing this type of film using Stoner`s Invisible Glass and Newspaper. Spray the SIG on very heavily (as it will foam lightly) and allow it to sit for about a minute. Spray it on again and allow to sit again for about a minute (do not allow it to dry to the glass, just keep it wet at all times). Then spray one more time and wipe with newspaper. When you are done, respray and clean with a good microfiber towel. Do this to both the inside and outside of the windshield. This technique inside will remove any plasticizer build up also. Don`t forget to spray and wipe down your wiper blades when you are done also, and your spots should be gone the next time to use your wipers.

My5ABaby
11-19-2009, 08:07 AM
I can give that a try but I`m concerned that won`t work given the more aggressive methods that have failed. If that doesn`t work, would a terry cloth work as a suitable applicant for Spot-X? I`d really like to use the most aggressive method possible while still mantaining safety. It`s to the point where it`s really hindering vision.

Something I just thought of is that applying rain-x helped. My assumption is that it covered the film with an even layer thus preventing the buildup to be I. Co tact with the rain to cause issues. Not sure if that info helps.

SuperBee364
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Using an abrasive polishing liquid like M105 with a rotary or PC should remove anything that isn`t an actual defect in the glass. I usually use M105 by hand on exterior glass, and if there`s anything left that I can`t get that way, I`ll do the 105 by rotary or pc with a foam pad. As I said, that will pretty much remove *anything* that isn`t an actual defect in the glass itself. Anything that is left is going to require glass "correction" in the same way we "correct" paint; an abrasive that is capable of abrading the glass itself. Look for an actual glass polish and/or glass polishing kit. Cerium Oxide is the usual abrasive to look for in a kit like this.

Be warned, though, that polishing glass isn`t to be taken lightly. Any mistakes you make will be *extremely* visible. Much more so than a mistake in paint. Also, the heat you`ll build up is *amazing".

I`ve only used a cerium oxide polish on glass one time, and that was enough to convince me that it`s cheaper/easier to just replace the glass in question.

CKSpeed
11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
To answer your original question, if you are going to try Spot-X you need to use the original white scrubber. The white scrubber is manufacturered without adhesives to reduce the chance of scratching the glass. Home Depot used to sell the white scrubber separate from the bottle of Spot-X, but the last time I was in Home Depot the scrubber and bottle were combined in a packaged set for about $8.

As for using it on your windshield, go ahead and give it a shot. Follow the directions on the package and apply by hand. I have used it on my windshield to attempt to get rid of water marks that have been lingering for 4 years. My water marks are really prominent during the trailing edge of a wiper swipe, especially when my windshield is cold, and hinders my night vision in the rain. I even had my windshield replaced under warranty and my replacement had worse water spots than the original. Unfortunately for me, Spot-X helped, but was only a temporary fix. The water marks return in about week after applying the Spot-X.

I am now trying Duragloss Nu-Glass. I applied it by hand the other night so I get to see how effectively it works during tonight`s commute.

My5ABaby
11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
My most abrasive polish is UC. I could buy somethng local with more cut. I`ll also go check if I can find the sponge alone.

Thanks all.