PDA

View Full Version : New Leather Seats

muscleknight
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Just got a new Audi A5 cab with leather seats. Should I wait to apply leather conditioner or can I go ahead and condition the seats? I need to check and see when the car was manufactured. I figure it was at least a month on the boat over here.

Dan
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
A5 is an awesome ride. I`d research a leather cleaner before getting hot to trot for a conditioner. Think about what areas get trashed first. Steering wheel, then drivers seat. Its you and your dirt/oils that ruin leather faster than mother nature can. Do a title search on the word leather, you will have hours of reading to do.

imported_WhyteWizard
11-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Before you treat, you better be sure they aren`t sealed. There`s a difference in some of the new leathers in that they`ve been plastic coated. The maintenance on them is simple, a damp microfiber followed by something like 303.

Here`s the link to the article at 303 but the info should apply to whatever similar treatment you might like.

303 Products, Inc.: Treating Leather and vinyl coated leather in auto upholstery and car interiors. (http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/112/automotive-lea)

Robert

judyb
11-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Protection should be used rather than a `conditoner`. Adding oils and waxes to a finished leather will only attract more dirt.

303 does not protect leather against dirt and stains.

Microfibres should not be used to clean leather as they could pick up lose particles of finish and casue damage.

The best practice routine with new leather is:

Protect

Maintenance clean (once a week or fortnight - depending on colour, usage etc)

Deep clean once or twice a year (again depending on colour and usage)

Use water based products and this simple routine will keep your leather in good condition for a long time. Avoid `conditioning` products that contain any type of oils or waxes.

Hope this helps

Passrat
11-16-2009, 02:34 AM
Protection should be used rather than a `conditoner`. Adding oils and waxes to a finished leather will only attract more dirt.

303 does not protect leather against dirt and stains.

Microfibres should not be used to clean leather as they could pick up lose particles of finish and casue damage.

The best practice routine with new leather is:

Protect

Maintenance clean (once a week or fortnight - depending on colour, usage etc)

Deep clean once or twice a year (again depending on colour and usage)

Use water based products and this simple routine will keep your leather in good condition for a long time. Avoid `conditioning` products that contain any type of oils or waxes.

Hope this helps

OK I`ll bite... What water based products are best?

My GF has a two year old Nissan with tan leather seats and I spot clean them with Lexol cleaner (rarely, she`s very clean) and she wipes them down a few times a year with the towelettes in a can, and so far they still look new. But I`m beginning to wonder like the OP what the next step should be. To keep them looking good and not letting them crack.

To the OP, NICE car. One of my favorites! (Pics?) I would tint the windows if I were you with the darkest legal (or not) film you can - with a UV filter in it. This will help keep the leather and everything else in the car from fading, drying, and getting UV damage. I used Llumar film because of it`s reputation and it`s 99% UV rejection. But there are other good brands too, you can read about them at the link below. (one of them is even clear!)

Best $200 bucks I ever spent. No more HOT car interior.

TintCenter.com - Llumar Window Films (http://www.tintcenter.com/films/llumar/)

Roger Koh
11-16-2009, 01:10 PM
OK I`ll bite... What water based products are best?

]

===

Best are those that are considered leather-safe with a pH range from 3 to 5.

These leather-safe cleaners can be used on all leather types found in auto, including the Standard-Pigmented, Micro-Pigmented, Napa-Pigmented, Aniline and the suede trims.

The Standard-Pigmented are those that are non-absorbent.

The Micro-Pigmented are the semi-aniline which is semi-absorbent.

The Napa-Pigmented are the absorbent most delicate types found in the S.

The Aniline leathers are the absorbent type found in the Ford King Ranch.

The Suede trims are found in Land Rover.

The symptoms of poor water based products are:

Streaks!

Ring Marks!

Discoloration!

Yellowing!

Stiffness!

Stickiness!

Tackiness!

Brightness!

That’s why you find leather garments with labels that read “Dry Clean Only”.

These leather garment manufacturer must know how bad a water based product can be to put such label.

It is safer to know the pH value of a water based product before you use it.

As such leather-safe products can be use on “Dry Clean Only” leather garments safely too.

Roger Koh

Leather Doctor