PDA

View Full Version : oil & water based

trackrabbit21
11-15-2009, 12:55 PM
can any1 tell me what OTC tire shines are water based? or how i can tell the difference between the two?

imported_Jakerooni
11-15-2009, 03:02 PM
anything with silicone in it is oil based just about everything else is waterbased. Water based can produce the intial results but usually dosen`t last as long. However with the current government crackdown on VOC law`s most are loosing their silicone base and moving to waterbased products.

Bigpoppa3346
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Correct me if I`m wrong, but don`t most water based dressings have silicone in them too? (Water based being the milky colored ones)

Oil based (I feel "Solvent Based" is a better term) are generally clear, and well, oily!

Armor All Original, many of the Mother`s offerings, and a few Duragloss products are water based.

salty
11-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Different silicones are used in water or solvent based products and different by manufacturer.

Solvent based is usually clear or blue tinted.

Water is milky.

The jury is still out on how bad solvent based products are on the interiors and tires, personally I never use them.

I know on improperly cleaned tires and then a solvent based dressing, it makes a very hard to remove brown mess.