PDA

View Full Version : Need help with `68 Mustang

Ctuchik
11-12-2009, 03:53 AM
I`m not what you would call knowledgeable in the auto detailing department. I own a `68 Ford Mustang and am looking for some advice on both product and method for waxing. I know what time of day and when to plan to wax, I`m more worried about a good product, preferably an all in one solution that can be hand buffered on. My father used to help me with the car and I believe we just used Meguiars Gold or some such. Anyway I`m out on my own now and I don`t know if I can use the same stuff because I will be needing to hand buff the car now as opposed to an orbital buffer.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

vtec92civic
11-12-2009, 03:59 AM
i would suggest getting a DA (Dual Action) buffer such as:

Porter Cable

Meguiars G110

Griots

you will never be able to mimic what a machine can do. If you just are waxing that is something that can be done either way by hand or machine. Machine tends to be easier.

If you need to polish your vehicle because there are swirl marks or he paint feels dry then you need a machine for sure.

There are so many different products out there as far as wax goes.

If you want a simple wax known as WOWO (Wipe on Wipe Off) you can go for:

Pinnacle Liquid Souveran or Paste

Natty`s Blue or Red

If you want something that is going to provide more protection since you may decide not to want to wax once a or month etc . . .

Grab some Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant and you will def. be happy with the results.

If you have any questions by all means feel free to PM me or anyone . . . . wee are all friendly here.

Ctuchik
11-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Actually the reason I stressed hand buffing is because I`m at an appartment complex and there isn`t an electrical outlet near enough that extension cords would be feasible. I was mostly wondering about a wax that would work well being hand buffered and I`m mostly worried about protection as my paint job is relatively new and doesn`t have any swirls or defects yet (knock on wood).

vtec92civic
11-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Actually the reason I stressed hand buffing is because I`m at an appartment complex and there isn`t an electrical outlet near enough that extension cords would be feasible. I was mostly wondering about a wax that would work well being hand buffered and I`m mostly worried about protection as my paint job is relatively new and doesn`t have any swirls or defects yet (knock on wood).

try one of the waxes i mentioned . . . . . i think you will like that Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant though. It`s being talked about and used a lot right now.

What`s your price range? You can spend any where from $10 or so up to $1,000+ on wax.

Ctuchik
11-12-2009, 05:56 AM
I`d like to stay under $100. I think I will try that Blackfire, especialy since you aren`t the first person I`ve heard mention it. Another question while it`s on my mind, when I`m buffing by hand should I do a circular motion (a.k.a mimic an orbital) or do forwards and backwards motions. The paint job is pretty much immaculate, I just don`t want to cause any streaks or swirls.

craigdt
11-12-2009, 08:30 AM
If its a half decent wax, it should be reasonable easy to apply by hand. I would say that most of us *probably* apply waxes by hand.

If you want a good carnauba wax, you cant go wrong with Poorboy`s Nattys blue. Looks great and has average durability. Other popular choices are Meguiars #16, Pinnacle Souveran, etc.

If you want a sealant, take a look at Meguiars NXT 2.0, Ultima Paint Guard Plus (one of my faves) or Poorboys EX-P.

Edit: When applying the wax, it doesnt matter how you put it on, as long as you get full coverage. When you are removing the wax, if it is going to cause swirls/scratches, you will get them no matter what pattern you use. Make sure you use a nice microfiber towel that can pass the cd test.

Best wishes

Ctuchik
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
And now another question showing my inexperience....what`s the cd test?

Street5927
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
And now another question showing my inexperience....what`s the cd test?

To answer both of your quesions, whatever product you purchase, just follow the instructions on the back as to how to apply it...whether it be by hand or by machine.

Secondly, the CD test is a test that you can do to determine whether or not your applicator, microfiber, etc. will scratch your paint. If you take a CD (I use a blank CD-R) disk and rub your applicator, microfiber, etc. on the backside (copy side) of the disk and it scratches, it will most likely scratch the finish on your car. If it does not scratch the disk, it is not likely to scratch the finish on your car.

Ctuchik
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Excellent, being a computer tech I have plenty of discs laying around. Thanks all for the help, I think I may be able to actually go successfully wax my car without making a muck of it.