PDA

View Full Version : Tape residue removal

mx5mike
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I have some clear packing tape residue on my Miata plastic conv. top window that I dont know how to remove before I polsh the window. I put a small crack in it early this year and taped both sides. I am leavingthe tape on the inside but want to polish some clarity back into the window as its lightly scratched on the outside. I cant afford to replace the top tell early spring. and yes I do use a soft sleve that covers both sides of the window (I ALWAYS unzip) when the top is down. I have 3M adhisive remover, acetone, WD40, can I use one of these and not hurt the plastic, or do you guys recomend somthing entirely different?

TIA

Mike

zjm8
11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
When I need to remove sticky residue I always use Goo Gone. Seems to do the job on practically everything. The 3M and WD40 should be fine as well. After your done just wipe the window down to get any residue left behind from the product.

mx5mike
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
I will give the goo gone a try. I think I have some of that around here. I forgot about that stuff.

Accumulator
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
IMO one of the reasons to choose 3M Adhesive Remover is that it flashes/evaporates cleanly. With all my Goo Gone/etc. products I have to rinse and that`s not always as feasible as just letting the product flash off.

HobbesA5
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Any experience with either of those products on plasticized chrome trim? I`ve got some tape residue on the "chrome" around my windows and I don`t want to mar the finish with a residue remover.

Accumulator
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Any experience with either of those products on plasticized chrome trim? I`ve got some tape residue on the "chrome" around my windows and I don`t want to mar the finish with a residue remover.

Never had a problem with the 3M Adhesive Remover and I`ve used it on "chromed" plastic plenty of times.