PDA

View Full Version : The Science of Swirl

Brenton
12-08-2005, 07:26 PM
I just received a free 16oz Pinnacle Swirl Remover. It stinks like rotten organic glue, and has a fine, oily texture.
I also use the SSR series, which smells better, and has the texure of a traditional cut polish, in varying degrees.
Compounds I also know, pasty, and I like to lube with water.

Except the first, all of these I`ve used as a solution, but I`m not an expert in this since I now use a chemical scratch removal system. But I am still interested in traditional systems.
So how does the Pinnacle work? There is no bite to it like an SSR or compound or commercial cut polish. I don`t get it.
Also, has anyone found a system that works best for swirl removal in dark cars with minimal buffing, and especially minimal buffing marks?
And what kind of time does it typically take you guys to do a passanger car, late model, with no oxidization but moderate swirls?

Lots of questions but I`d like to learn.

getright
12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Since i am relatively new to swril removal with a buffer i can only answer a few of your questions. I have used the pinnacle swirl remover and i too was a little thrown a back by the initial smelling, i have only used it with a pc and from what i could ascertain it worked by the breaking down of the little abrasives in the solution. If you look in the bottle there are little white specs contrasting the green color of the solution. As you work the polish in more and more these abrasives break down and smooth out the edges of or totally remove the swirls. Sorry for the preceding if you wanted to know how it performed. It seemed to do a good job on my nighthawk black pearl acura`s swirl marks. I used it after washing, claying, and kaio, this might have been a mistake as i probably should have used the pinnacle first and then the kaio, but it seemed to do it`s job. I spread it at 2 and worked it in at about 3. In retrospect i should have worked it in longer and faster, as i said i am relatively new with sr`s. Since i did it after the kaio it was a little stubborn to work in. My advice would be to work it in at like 4.5 or 5 and use the usual signs of time to stop and remove. I can`t wait to read some other responses as my next attempt will be with ssr 2.5 or 2 maybe followed by ssr1. Hope that helps a little.