PDA

View Full Version : What to use to strip 1z leather conditioner?

Pages : [1] 2

2StepsAhead
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Tried some 1z leather conditioner out on my G8,...not so good. Anyone know what I can use thatll strip it completely? I used some Meguiars APC with a leather brush and it did help but I can still see traces oh the white on the black leather.

Dan
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
What is the reason you want to strip it? I love the stuff. Its very matte and seems to protect the leather very well from body oils. Also how did you apply it? I usually put it on very thin using a Megs yellow foam pad and then buff it off.

2StepsAhead
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I first started off with my hands and then started using a pad, overall I just didn`t like it. Im not being biased in anyway but I did not care for the smell first and foremost, Im used to my Zaino and Poorboys smelling like leather, this has a weird musty smell that I couldnt take. It also felt a bit tacky, I applied 3 coats on my g8 since the leather is notoriously bone dry, every seat I moved onto I would look back on the previous seat and notice it was dry already. It was also very unforgiving in certain places where I applied too much, I tried to wipe it immediately with a mf towel with Meguiars quick interior detailer on it but no good, just overall wasn`t a good experience. I tried all different types of applications, I also tried a coat with the leather very cool (which turned out to be the worst application, I could see white streaks all over) and then I tried two other applications with the heater on full blast and the seat heaters on which helped me spread it more evenly.

The G8 leather seems to be very finicky, my Forester leather absolutely LOVED Poorboys but did not like the 1z. So on the G8 I started off with the Poorboys and it appeared to do nothing, so I switched back to the 1z and I was dissapointed. I also bought Optimum leather conditioner and Zaino based on recommendations here, they worked well on my other cars so Im going to strip off the 1z and see how the others play out.

Dan
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Yikes... I think I see where you went wrong. 1Z isn`t really a conditioner, its more of a protectant. 3 coats certaily would cause the problem to get worse. It needs to go on super thin otherwise, as you see, its going to cause problems. Its kind of funny that what you hate about it is exactly what I love about it. I like the smell, it doesn`t smell like fake leather and it brings out the car`s original leather smell.

I think the Optimum LC is very similar, it doesn`t condition much, it just puts on a protective layer. If your leather really is dry, check out the Griots restore product or the LM Vital.

Try using some Meguiars APC+ to remove the 1Z. It is leather safe and a good cleaner. And PM me if you want to trade some stuff for the 1Z!

2StepsAhead
12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Ok...lol still battling this, used Meguiars APC with a stiff leather brush and its still in the cracks/crevices/pores of the leather. Anyone know a way I could get it out? Ive tried a push pin to kinda poke around but its not working out...any chemicals? Should I get it steamed?

Dan
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Ok...lol still battling this, used Meguiars APC with a stiff leather brush and its still in the cracks/crevices/pores of the leather. Anyone know a way I could get it out? Ive tried a push pin to kinda poke around but its not working out...any chemicals? Should I get it steamed?

You might want to ping Roger Koh, the leather guy. 1Z is carnauba based so you might need something pretty strong to get it out.

HowardPearson
12-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, I am with Yakky on this one.

I dont even notice the 1z once I have it on there so I am surprised that you are struggling to remove the product.

Maybe LM strong cleaner to clean it up?

2StepsAhead
12-19-2009, 07:25 AM
I tried msg Roger but hes not receiving pm`s.

The thing I notice....is that I would clean the area and it looked like nothing was there...but when I would stretch/stress/whatever you would like to call it....I could see where the 1z made like a skin over the leather and would crack a little as the leather stretched.

Its very hard to explain...but I first noticed it in my back seat, I loaded a tv back there and where the edges of the box sat I could see a white line around it. So I cleaned it with Meguiars APC and it looked clean...so as a test I pushed on the leather with my fingers and all around where I pressed I could see the whiteish residue again. I then recleaned a few more times until I could press into the leather and not cause the cracking so to speak and no residue showed up.

Its like as if the 1z made a skin over the leather and anytime you press into it too hard it breaks apart a little and Im getting a white residue. Ive used this product before on other cars and I didnt get the same effect...but maybe its my type of leather, color, temperature and a mixture of using a little too much that did me in...I would just like to strip it for now and go back to using my other products. The pain is I have some in the perforated leather that REFUSES to come out.

Dan
12-19-2009, 08:38 AM
I tried msg Roger but hes not receiving pm`s.

Its like as if the 1z made a skin over the leather and anytime you press into it too hard it breaks apart a little and Im getting a white residue. Ive used this product before on other cars and I didnt get the same effect...but maybe its my type of leather, color, temperature and a mixture of using a little too much that did me in...I would just like to strip it for now and go back to using my other products. The pain is I have some in the perforated leather that REFUSES to come out.

Try him here:

Leather Cleaning Restoration FOrum (http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com)

Interesting, maybe the leather is more flexible than normal leather? Sorry about your issues, but it kinda makes me like the stuff even more! If its that tough to get out, it must be a great protector.

wfedwar
12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Try this homebrew leather cleaning recipe. Should cost you no more than a couple of dollars.

3% joy dish-washing detergent (non-ultra)

10% isopropyl alcohol

balance distilled water

Use it with a decent scrub brush, like the plastic bristled kind for washing dishes. Hope this works for you.

Quality Leather
12-19-2009, 10:28 AM
wfedwar,

That is the Eagle Ottawa formula that was developed by their head chemist. Jeff Ochs has been promoting that cleaner for ages. I have been using it for the last six months or so and have found that 1% is probably better. As for the brush, I use a Scotch Brite delicate duty pad. It gets into the grain without doing damage to the leather.

As for a protectant, Jeff Ochs has a protectant that he developed for BMW. It is called RC-607, I believe. You can find it at refinishcoatings.com. He will also be at the mobiletechshow.com

wfedwar
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
wfedwar,

That is the Eagle Ottawa formula that was developed by their head chemist.

Yeah, I picked it up from a post on this board a while back. Probably one of yours. It works well, thanks.

Quality Leather
12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Do you find 3% to be to much soap? I use a wet cloth to wipe off the cleaner and dirt after scrubbing. I follow with a dry cloth. I found that the wet cloth seems to help.

wfedwar
12-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Do you find 3% to be to much soap? I use a wet cloth to wipe off the cleaner and dirt after scrubbing. I follow with a dry cloth. I found that the wet cloth seems to help.

It hasn`t been a problem for me, but I`ve done like you and cleaned up with a wet cloth. I can see wanting it lower concentration for more routine cleaning and it may depend on the leather. I`ll have to try the delicate duty pad also. I already had some for something else, so I`ll give them a try on the seats. Thanks for the tip.

2StepsAhead
12-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Try him here:

Leather Cleaning Restoration FOrum (http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com)

Interesting, maybe the leather is more flexible than normal leather? Sorry about your issues, but it kinda makes me like the stuff even more! If its that tough to get out, it must be a great protector.

LOL yeah I thought that same thing, its very tough...but it looks chalky on my black leather which kills me. Its in the perforations of the leather and seems impossible to get out, I guess I made a huge mistake doing more then one coat. Its weird because my Subaru leather had no problems with the 1z, but that leather felt very hydrated compared to the g8. Hard to explain...the g8 feels very rubbery, dont know if that played a factor or just my application technique/weather conditions.