PDA

View Full Version : Horrid Paint scratches-what to do??

Pages : [1] 2

tssdetailing
11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
it`s a 2000 black BMW, she scratched the paint with an ice scraper....i don`t "do paint" but can a buffer take care of this or is that down to the metal?

http://www.tssdetailing.com/images/thumbs/BMWscratch1.jpg

http://www.tssdetailing.com/images/thumbs/BMWscratch2.jpg

JasonS
11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Those look very deep and wide and it appears that it went all the way through the paint. A buffer can`t fix, it`s time for a good body shop.

BobD
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
it`s a 2000 black BMW, she scratched the paint with an ice scraper....i don`t "do paint" but can a buffer take care of this or is that down to the metal?

http://www.tssdetailing.com/images/thumbs/BMWscratch1.jpg

http://www.tssdetailing.com/images/thumbs/BMWscratch2.jpg

That`s going to be a repaint.

imported_Jakerooni
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
strongly advise a repaint on that...

tssdetailing
11-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Ok, well she really wants me to detail the car. Can i just tape the scratches so I don`t peel the surrounding paint back? (`m using a Flex DA)

dinansm3
11-11-2009, 11:55 AM
dontdo anything to it, it needs to be repainted period

Atlantic Euro
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Shoot - hit it with the Flex and see what happens. You`re probably painting it anyway.

David Fermani
11-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I`ve never known plastic to cut through paint quite like that(possible though). Could it be the reminants/trasfer from the scraper? Can you feel the grove/valley of the scratch with the tip of your fingernail?

byalegend
11-11-2009, 04:50 PM
I`ve never known plastic to cut through paint quite like that(possible though). Could it be the reminants/trasfer from the scraper? Can you feel the grove/valley of the scratch with the tip of your fingernail?

+1: If a plastic ice scraper was used, that`s unlike any plastic ice scraper I`ve ever seen. The edges of the marks look faint, which would seem to indicate transfer. So, you should be able to polish those out.

efnfast
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
It looks like a repaint, but if you can`t feel any depressions it may just be transfer

Greg Gellas
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Get the bird crap off the trunk before it etches into the clear :D

dennn
11-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Things like this usually qualify for insurance claims.

I`ve seen people done touch-up wetsanding on LONG straight scratches. But it takes a lot of patience to do it correctly. You can certainly try that method first. If it fails, go to a bodyshop. It will be a great learning experience for your later scratch repair.

David Fermani
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Not if you have a $500 deductible. :har:

efnfast
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM

I`ve seen people done touch-up wetsanding on LONG straight scratches. But it takes a lot of patience to do it correctly. You can certainly try that method first. If it fails, go to a bodyshop. It will be a great learning experience for your later scratch repair.

I`m not really certain how self-inflicted damage to your auto covers under an insurance policy?

If I buff through my clearcoat can I file an insurance claim :think:

getcha
11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Forgive me if this comes off as rude, but I cant help but notice your avatar advertising what I think is your business? Its confusing/disconcerting to see someone advertising business but then posting questions of what appropriate steps would be to a certain situation - one detailers(skilled ones) are referenced for fixing.

Otherwise, advise her of the possible consequences and how she should follow up. Then I would say explain you might be able to make it less noticeable or eliminated if they are just eye sores and not super deep.

See how she responds and see if insurance would cover it, then give it a mild progression with your polisher and product combinatinons..