PDA

View Full Version : confused about proper steps

imported_cooper58
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
The website has tons of information but can be overwhelming to a newbie. :D

What I`m not getting a full understanding of are the standard step to using products

like compounds,glaze,sealant and wax. Can someone give me the order on which product should be applied and what`s worthy to use out of the products I currently have. I just got a PC but need to order some pads.

Current inventory -

1. KLASSE - sealant / all-in-one

2. Showcar - synthetic cutting compound

3. 3M - Finesse-it 2

Super Duty rubbing compound

Imperial Hand Glaze

Perfect it liquid wax

4. Meguiar`s - Gold Class Paste

Scratch x 2.0

NXT Tech wax 2.0

#7 Showcar glaze

#26 Hi-tech yellow wax

FLdude
11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I to am interested as a noob/novice. I always understood the wash, claybar, polish, wax. You know.. the 1 2 3 step type deal. clean, polish & wax.

Accumulator
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
The website has tons of information but can be overwhelming to a newbie. :D

What I`m not getting a full understanding of are the standard step to using products

like compounds,glaze,sealant and wax. Can someone give me the order on which product should be applied and what`s worthy to use out of the products I currently have. I just got a PC but need to order some pads.

Current inventory -

1. KLASSE - sealant / all-in-one

2. Showcar - synthetic cutting compound

3. 3M - Finesse-it 2

Super Duty rubbing compound

Imperial Hand Glaze

Perfect it liquid wax

4. Meguiar`s - Gold Class Paste

Scratch x 2.0

NXT Tech wax 2.0

#7 Showcar glaze

#26 Hi-tech yellow wax

First, you need to group your products into compatible groups; you have a lot of different products in the penultimate (glazes) and last-step (waxes and sealants) categories and they`re not all compatible. Those products are kinda a confusing jumble of stuff, so I`ll *try* to keep it understandable...

Approaching this bass-ackwards, starting with penultimate products and the Last Step Products ("LSP"s, i.e. waxes and sealants ):

The 3M IHG and #7 are functionally similar and are used before waxes such as the NXT (yeah, it`s a sealant but it basically behaves like a wax), the #26, and the Perfect It wax.

The Klasse All In One ("AIO") is sorta a penultimate product in that it`s used before the Klasse Sealant Glaze ("KSG"), and can also be used as a paint cleaner before waxes. I`d just group it with the KSG and use the two of them as a team.

Since the AIO is a cleaner, it`s not really compatible with the IHG and the #7; it`d just clean those off.

The Gold Class wax also supposedly contains some cleaners and might cause issues depending on what`s used before it. I`m gonna leave it out of the discussion as I`m not a fan of it anyhow.

As noted, the Klasse AIO is followed by KSG. Some people use a wax topper after the KSG (but I don`t), and if you want to do that you need to use a wax with *no* cleaners. Of those you have, the #26 or Perfect It Wax are most likely to work OK.

So figure out which approach (glaze + wax vs. Klasse twins) you want to use.

No matter which approach you decide on, you need to prep the paint first, and for that you use abrasive products like the Showcar compound (which I`m *not* familiar with, so I`m leaving it out of the discussion too), the Finesse It, and the Scratch-X.

The Finess It is the most potent, so it`s used first *if* you need its oomph. Then follow it with the milder Scratch-X to improve the finish (FI doesn`t leave things all *that* nice IMO).

The Scratch-X *might* be strong enough to use all by itself, but I sorta doubt it.

So....

You wash, clay (if you`re gonna do that, and I would), then use either the Finesse it then Scratch-X or just the Scratch-X to remove the swirls/etc.

Once the above gets the paint looking good, use either the glaze + wax or the Klasse twins.

Something in the above is undoubtedly less-than-clear, so ask about anything I can clarify.

I to am interested as a noob/novice. I always understood the wash, claybar, polish, wax. You know.. the 1 2 3 step type deal. clean, polish & wax.

Yeah, that`s the idea :xyxthumbs

imported_cooper58
11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
What would you suggest I get when shopping for pads to go with my PC?

Accumulator
11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
What would you suggest I get when shopping for pads to go with my PC?

4" HydroEdge, cyan (blue) for cutting/compounding and tangerine for polishing.

You could also get some fishing pads for use with LSPs if you want to do those by machine.