PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning chrome tip, what to use?

imported_RedlineIRL
11-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I am trying to figure out what I can use to clean the inside of my chrome exhaust tip up. I has some baked on carbon and what looks to be some pitting on the bottom of it. I have tried some APC but it`s not really doing much to it. Is there anything I can do to bring back the chrome appearance inside of the tip also?

If you all are familiar with the exhaust tips on the Chevy Cobalt SS you will know what I am working with. They are pretty much the same finish and design as the ones used on the TB SS, HHR SS, GTOs, and other GMs. So maybe you guys that have dealt with these could give me some ideas

unleashedfury
11-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Inisde the tip? I am assuming you are referring to the OEM tips no modifications done.

I have used a medium bristle cleaning brush available in a set of 3 at Harbor friehgt for about 3 bucks.

It has a Nylon brush, A mild steel brush and a Heavy steel bristle brush. They kinda look like a lengthy toothbrush.

Use the nylon brush to see if you can break the carbon loose. However beware if you are having an issue with running Rich. ITs gonna be back very shortly.

Double Dizzle
11-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Glass cleaner and #0000 steel wool.

Dan
11-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Mother`s wheel polish and 0000 SW

imported_RedlineIRL
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Inisde the tip? I am assuming you are referring to the OEM tips no modifications done.

I have used a medium bristle cleaning brush available in a set of 3 at Harbor friehgt for about 3 bucks.

It has a Nylon brush, A mild steel brush and a Heavy steel bristle brush. They kinda look like a lengthy toothbrush.

Use the nylon brush to see if you can break the carbon loose. However beware if you are having an issue with running Rich. ITs gonna be back very shortly.

Yes, OEM chome inside and out tip. Not an aftermarket. I have tried using a toothbrush, it helped out some but didn`t get it to where I wanted it

Will this grade cause any kind of scrathing to the chrome? If not, where is the best place to find 0000 SW? Target, Home Depot, etc?

efnfast
11-09-2009, 11:15 PM

I know that works well on stainless steel, but chrome?

Dan
11-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Yes, OEM chome inside and out tip. Not an aftermarket. I have tried using a toothbrush, it helped out some but didn`t get it to where I wanted it

Will this grade cause any kind of scrathing to the chrome? If not, where is the best place to find 0000 SW? Target, Home Depot, etc?

If it really is Chrome, yes, however you stated:

" inside of my chrome exhaust tip up. I has some baked on carbon and what looks to be some pitting on the bottom of it."

Its on the inside, its pitted and its baked on. Either way you are going to need to re-polish whatever is under there. #0000 is supposed to be the equivalent of 1000-1500 grit sandpaper, so its not going to leave huge scratch marks that any good metal polish can`t remove in a few passes.

JCastro1085
11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks to the advice yakky posted I was able to clean up my tips as they were baked with carbon on them :goodjob

Dan
11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks to the advice yakky posted I was able to clean up my tips as they were baked with carbon on them :goodjob

Glad it worked out for you. I love #0000. It works just as well on caked on brake dust. You can spend hours trying to polish brake dust off the insides of your wheels with 105 or you can use a little AIO on the 0000 and a few rubs back and forth. You will need to polish it with your favorite compound afterwards but it will be silky smooth.