PDA

View Full Version : Help with bird bombs.... please.

dave10432
11-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Hello folks. This is my first post. I`ve had a bot of a look arouind but can`t see many others from Australia yet.

I have a 2008 Golf GTI in Tornado Red and I have a problem.

We all know that bird droppings are bad for paint finish but I can`t believe how they are affecting the finish on this car.

On day 2 of having the car I copped a small bird bomb. I cleaned it off within a couple of hours of it hitting but it had already blemished the clear coat. It seemed to have penetrasted and caused fine bubbling within the clearcoat.

I was kind of mad about this to say the least, but I also felt a little sorry for the bird who had donated what I thought at that stage to be an extra acidic package.

In my experience, seagull bombs seem to be the worst, but the bombs that I am having problems with are from doves and swallows and the like.

Since the first bombing I have noticed that almost all bird bombs are blemishing the clear coat within a few hours of landing on the painted surfaces.

Does this sound right to you? Should the clear coat be affected so quickly or is this a defect with the finish?

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
#1 Yes, bird poop will etch almost instantly, depending on the poop and the surface temperature (hotter is worse). You need to clean it off as soon as possible.

#2 You should get some wax/sealant on that thing, it will help, but it won`t be impervious