PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/FK1000p - put on too thick - now residue

imported_detail1
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Now I know why everyone on here always says to put on thier wax paper thin!

My car is a white 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo.

Car was clean so I just used a QD- Eagle One to freshen things up.

I then applied DG bug & tar remover w/applicator and wiped off w/MF.

I then put on 1 thick coat of FK1000p. I let each panel dry for about 10 minutes before wiping it off.

It was tough to see what I was wiping off bc car is white and I wasnt using any type of lighting.

Well a few hours later, I went to Straus & when i came out I saw streaks of wax everywhere under the nice lighting!

What should I do now to correct this problem?

I took off as much wax as i could w/ a clean MF.

I think I am going to save FK1000p for the rims and windows and use my Collinite next time. (Last time I waxed this car I used Megs 16 in early August & I didnt have this problem)

And I know now to apply a very thin coating.

Cleaning Fool
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
You sure you wiped it down thoroughly? QD it. Weird, Ive never seen 1000P leave streaks and I`m very liberal when I apply it. I wouldn`t QD the car before you put 1000P on next time.

Cleaning Fool
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Don`t give up that quick on 1000p. Giv her another try.

Rob Tomlin
11-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Ouch, not to "rub it in", but virtually every single thread here talking about FK1000p warns against applying it too thick!

In addition, it sounds like you let it dry too long as well.

Believe it or not, you might actually try putting more 1000p on, but very thinly this time, and do not allow it to completely dry. This may clear it up.

imported_Bence
11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Dunno, for me 1000P comes off easier the longer I let it dry...

Weird...

Rob Tomlin
11-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Weird...

Yeah, but have you tried doing that after applying a very thick coat? ;)

Greg Nichols
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM

Weird...

Last night I applied another coat of 1000P and applied it with a foam app and left it for 2 hrs! It came off pretty darn easy. It was about 55 in the man cave. I have never had a problem with 1000P, hell I even forgot a section one time and left it on a car overnight.......came off pretty easy.

Cheers,

GREG

SuperBee364
11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Last night I applied another coat of 1000P and applied it with a foam app and left it for 2 hrs! It came off pretty darn easy. It was about 55 in the man cave. I have never had a problem with 1000P, hell I even forgot a section one time and left it on a car overnight.......came off pretty easy.

Cheers,

GREG

Sorry for the thread highjack, but...

Um, Greg, you`re supposed to be driving down to my place so you can get to SEMA at a decent time tomorrow, not posting on Autopia. Get your priorities set right, fella! ;)

To the OP: Yup, I`ve had 1000P turn into cement on me, too. As you said, thin coats are the solution, and it is also a lot easier to remove the residue if you apply the 1000P with a DA. You`ll get very little residue that way, and what there is will wipe off easily.

Greg Nichols
11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry for the thread highjack, but...

Um, Greg, you`re supposed to be driving down to my place so you can get to SEMA at a decent time tomorrow, not posting on Autopia. Get your priorities set right, fella! ;)

To the OP: Yup, I`ve had 1000P turn into cement on me, too. As you said, thin coats are the solution, and it is also a lot easier to remove the residue if you apply the 1000P with a DA. You`ll get very little residue that way, and what there is will wipe off easily.

brandt,

I thought if the car did not get a mini detail before coming down you would not allow me to park in your driveway. I`m leaving later today, I even put a coat of pink wax on!

imported_Bence
11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but have you tried doing that after applying a very thick coat? ;)

Ummm, nope. I think that it`s contraproductive when I mix up waxing with a mudbath. :D