PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Paint Guard - gone bad ?

maxshine
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I bought the sample kit a couple years ago and decided to try it (being using Optimum Spray). Upon opening box, etc. I noticed what appeared to be a `hardened line` of product that had formed inside the bottle where it had been lying on its side. (I scraped it with a toothpick)

Is the product still worth using ?

I searched the other day and thought I found posts discussing `particles` in the solution but I can`t find them now.

thanks

wannafbody
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Ultima has a history of the product jelling in the bottle. The only way to know for sure if it`s still good is to try it. I suspect that some of the polymer has activated so it probably won`t be as durable but still should work.

MrRumble
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Same thing happened to my sample kit. I first used a popsicle stick to loosen it up, then mixed it (very) vigorously until it all mixed up again. If you let it sit for a period of time, I find it`ll happen again. *Edit, I realize I didn`t answer your question. Scientifically, I don`t know if it`s become much less effective, but I use it anyway, and it still seems to sheet water and add slickness and shine.

Rob22315
11-04-2009, 07:01 AM
My bottle is at least a year and a half old and I haven`t had problems with clouding or gelling. Two things I do which may help - always make sure the bottle is sealed before storing and don`t leave it in a cold place during the winter.

I still have the original trigger sprayer with the little blue cap. I try to put a small vacuum into the bottle before putting the cap on the sprayer to reduce oxygen getting into the bottle. I suppose the ultimate storage solution would be to deaden the atmosphere in the bottle with nitrogen.

I move most of my detailing supplies into the utility area around my basement heater. Sub-freezing temps play havoc with many of the chemicals in our detailing supplies and tends to make components - especially in water/hydrocarbon mixes - separate so I don`t leave my stuff in the garage over winter. My guess is the extra heat around the heater keeps the chemicals from gumming up. This is a little counter to accepted knowledge about chemical reactions where heat usually speeds them up.

I can only say this is what I do and I haven`t had problems yet. I can`t promise you similar results because of sound theory. Note my bottle of UPGP is 2/3`s full because I only have two cars which I reseal every 2 or 3 months.

maxshine
11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I tried what MrRumble did but the particles did not mix back in the solution. So I let them settle and poured the contents(minus particles) to a new bottle, cleaned original bottle, poured back in original bottle and will apply a coat today. If it doesn`t seem to apply, cure, etc. properly I`ll just toss it. I`m happy with OS.

FYI - the botlle had never been opened - still in wrap, always kept in house. For all I know ity shipped that way. If the product needs continual attention - shaking, etc. This should have been noted in package description.

bcwang
11-07-2009, 01:44 AM
I find it strange that some people have absolutely no problems with this while others have this happen in sealed new bottles stored at room temperature.

danforz
11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Maybe Dave could chime in on this?

maxshine
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
I applied one coat and it seemed OK. It seems a bit more `oily` than OS and dried slower. It also seemed to collect more dust.