PDA

View Full Version : What`s you secret on getting FK1000 soft

Pages : [1] 2 3

pingable
11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Decided to open the tin to test it out. I have read this stuff is hard and boy oh boy it is indeed. Too lazy to haul out the halogen to sunbathe it ---- so I opted to run with 845 for todays application. Weather was great - mid 50`s . I usually start doing winter prep much later and pay for it with the temps ;-) Easy on, easy off.

Next up, for the next DD to get winterized will be 1000P for sure.

Cleaning Fool
11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Turn the can upside down. Take a cigarette lighter, light it and run it across the surface a few times, that will moisten it.

getcha
11-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I wasn`t sure if this was a serious question..

PV=nRT

Use a bit of pressure just press down a bit - then let up and spin your applicator in the tin..

pingable
11-02-2009, 06:51 AM
FK1000 is not your normal wax in a tin can....

aka - sealant in a tin can.

And yes, the wax is just that hard.

Ha, no cig lighters in my stash. Non smoker. Maybe I need to add this to the detailing accessory stash.

Accumulator
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I`ve used a little spritz of FK425 when the FK1000P seemed especially hard (my latest tin doesn`t seem that bad...), but I`ve always wondered if the FK425 might compromise the durability a little bit :nixweiss

Eh..I`d heat it a little with the halogen, but I *do* mean "a little" ;) OR maybe heat the applicator instead.

crew219
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Use a bit of pressure just press down a bit - then let up and spin your applicator in the tin..

Yep, using a microfiber applicator, i`ve never had issues getting the wax to spread on the applicator.

Dave

tom p.
11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
use a butter knife to smear the product on your pad. No heating required:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3164/dsc3402v.jpg

pingable
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
u guys are too much ;-)

I did try but the ~crema~ of my NIB tin has small chunks that came unsettled on the sides. I did use 425 as well to just moisten up things but the top was not budging at all. So I did a real thin layer of whatever came off with my 425 and sponge as well as a small chunk expecting it to soften up as I spread it....with no luck.

Methinks FK1000 needs good heat to at least soften the top layer so it`s easy on the sponge and warm panels to help things even further..

hd-nut
11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
nice product but pink wax is a lot easier:2thumbs:

getcha
11-02-2009, 08:05 PM
FK1000 is not your normal wax in a tin can....

aka - sealant in a tin can.

And yes, the wax is just that hard.

Ha, no cig lighters in my stash. Non smoker. Maybe I need to add this to the detailing accessory stash.

I use a ton of 1000P, always have. Its really not something you need your applicator caked in. Just barely enough so you can barely see it when applied. When the pad starts to grab then just a couple more light spins..

wannafbody
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Heat the butter knife up with the cigarette lighter or throw the FK1000 in the microwave.

drew.haynes
11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I use a ton of 1000P, always have. Its really not something you need your applicator caked in. Just barely enough so you can barely see it when applied. When the pad starts to grab then just a couple more light spins..

Think some cans are harder than others? I like the way 1000P looks but don`t really get around to using it because mine is SO SO SO SO hard. I am putting on only enough to barely see it - and i don`t mean easily... more like if I am looking at JUST the right angle in JUST the right light, then I see it a LITTLE. It applies this thin after me twisting and scraping the pad into the tin under HEAVY pressure. Like I couldn`t get TOO MUCH on my pad if my life depended on it.

Accumulator
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM
.. throw the FK1000 in the microwave.

I`d take it out of the tin first. (Yeah, I know...)

Think some cans are harder than others?

My little sample tin is *hard*, like a rock. My big tin is fairly soft. Extreme difference between the two :nixweiss

tom p.
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Honestly, neither of my tins are harder than any other similar waxes I have - - I`ve never given it a 2nd thought. Would the product harden as it ages?

wannafbody
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Honestly, neither of my tins are harder than any other similar waxes I have - - I`ve never given it a 2nd thought. Would the product harden as it ages?

Only if the solvents have evaporated. With a sealed container it`s unlikely.