PDA

View Full Version : maintenance washing/cleaning

Wichard20
11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

I been searching forums and reviews for products and recommendations for maintenance care. I think I finally have an idea of what I need and would appreciate any feedback and recommendations. I also searched for recent threads for people in similiar situations and did not find any so hopefully this will help others as well. Recently picked up a new car and had it professional detailed, I am looking for an easy solution of keeping up the car until the next round of professional detailing. Since I just had it detailed before winter I plan for another after winter and then the next one before winter and so on.

Products:

ONR

Opt Protectant Plus

Aquawax

Opti-Seal

Lake Country Sponge

Grout Sponges - Home Depot / Lowes

Mini EZ detail brush

2 Buckets

2 Grit Guards

MISC MF - Any recommendations for a one stop shop with high quality MF would be appreciated

Wheel Care:

Wash Bucket: ONR/Water

Wash down wheels with ONR using grout sponges on the face of the wheel and sidewalls of the tires. Use detail brush for the inside of the wheel. Thinking of using some Terry Clothes (Saw this recommended by autopian) to dry the wheel. Also plan to spray down the wheels with opti-seal to make future cleanings easier. Can I just spray and walk away with Opti-Seal?

Painted Surfaces / Exterior Glass

Wash Bucket: ONR/Water

Rinse Bucket: water

Wash one panel at a time. One with with WW MF towel, spray Aquawax (except glass), second pass with plush towel MF. Wash media is Lake Country Sponge.

Interior

For leather, just Leatherique Prestine Clean. If I keep the seats regulary maintained is there any reason for the rejuvantor oil? I plan to apply with just a microfiber towel or applicator towel? Any recommendations on what kind?

The remaining interior items except glass/carpet is vinyl and aluminum trim (actually just plastic). I am thinking of just wiping this down the the optimum protectant plus. Sounds good? What to use to apply?

For interior glass, just water and a WW glass MF.

Carpets just vacuum.

Common Incidents

Couple questions what people recommend about bird droppings, sap, tar, bug splats, paint chips.

For bird droppings I think a full wash would be ideal but for example say that is not possible or you just got to work. I am thinking of keeping ONR in QD form in the car with couple microfiber in case of this. Sound good?

For tree sap/tar I honestly have no idea haha.

Bug splats. can bug splats wait couple days until a full wash? If ONR and sponges dont cut it, what is recommended?

Paint Chips. Any one heard of DR paint chip? I hate the look of touched up paint chips but I think filling in a chip weights over the potential of the chip rusting (depending on location)

Thanks,

Rich

Dan
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
You might consider getting a sprayer for the ONR to pre-soak. I don`t see any plans for exterior rubber trim either.

For leather, I might choose something else, you might want something with a bit of UV protection, I don`t think Leatherique does.

Everything else looks ok.

Accumulator
11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
..For bird droppings I think a full wash would be ideal but for example say that is not possible or you just got to work. I am thinking of keeping ONR in QD form in the car with couple microfiber in case of this. Sound good?

Yeah, just be careful about it.

For tree sap/tar I honestly have no idea haha.

Tree sap can precipitate the need for a full detail; if it`s really mild, and you`re lucky, then clay and a potent wash will get it off, but don`t count on it. Don`t park where that`s a potential issue (I know, easier said than done).

If the tar`s not *really* bad, you can clay it off, using something like Sonus green Ultra-fine clay, without also stripping off your LSP. But this can also precipitate the need for a re-LSping if you`re just a little too aggressive about it.

Using solvents (e.g., Tarminator) *will* require re-LSPing so I hardly ever resort to that unless the tar`s really bad.

Bug splats. can bug splats wait couple days until a full wash? If ONR and sponges dont cut it, what is recommended?

Just depends, on both the bug and your LSP. I leave such stuff on for days on end and sometimes it etches and sometimes it doesn`t (*never* etches with heavily layered KSG, seldom etches with Collinite or #16, often etches with other LSPs). Again, I use a very gentle clay on such stuff as needed.

Paint Chips. Any one heard of DR paint chip? I hate the look of touched up paint chips but I think filling in a chip weights over the potential of the chip rusting (depending on location)

Unless the chip is to bare metal it shouldn`t rust if you keep it LSPed. Even when it *is* to bare metal it often won`t rust badly/spread if you keep it well-polished/LSPed.

I know, more of my Autopian Heresy, but I`ve let to-the-metal chips go for *years* with zero problems. I seldom touch them up, but I will sometimes put a dab of rust converter (maybe even touchup paint if I feel like it) on the bare metal ones. Just don`t completely *neglect* them; at least keep an eye on them for signs that something bad`s developing.

Never tried the DrColorChip, but note that most touch up paints are mighty hit-or-miss with regard to matching well.

Wichard20
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the info/feedback. I am thinking of switching out the Opt Protectant Plus for 303 which I will use for the interior and put a coat of it on after using the Leatherique. There is minimal rubber trim on the outside but I do have black plastric trim (BMW called it shadowline trim), would 303 work on this as well?

vtec92civic
11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
everything looks rather good. Tree sap which we have a lot of here. I need to personally find something that`s good to address that.

Maybe Meguairs Body Solvent

Accumulator
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
There is minimal rubber trim on the outside but I do have black plastric trim (BMW called it shadowline trim), would 303 work on this as well?

I don`t like dressing-based approaches for exterior trim as they tend to run/streak in the rain. I`d use something like KAIO topped with either KSG or Collinite 845 instead. That`s what I have on my E36 M3`s exterior black plastic trim.