PDA

View Full Version : Just finished and not super pleased UPGP

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rebelranger
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I Just finished a week long job on my 2008 Tahoe (Blue granite Metallic) . Bought it used and decided it needed some TLC. So I performed a complete wash with dawn, followed by the UEPCS, which was different but results were very good followed by EDIT

then removed scratches with scratchX2.0 then Ultima Paint Prep Plus-then removed minor scratches with scratchX 2.0, washed and cleaned with UPGW.

I then followed with three coats of UPGP (waited more than 12 hours between each). And although the shine is beautiful, its not as reflective and shiny as I`d like to see. I`ve seen some mirror finishes yet I feel as though I`m missing something. Is there a next step or another series of coats that I should add?

Or follow up with another product? I parked next to a pick up the other day and it was incredible compared to mine. I waited for a while for the honor to fins out how they achieved the finish. But the owner never returned.

I also have a full bottle of the 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection sitting around that I have not used--would this be an option to add now (or save for my Audi) or Carnuba or?????

Any help will be appreciated!!

Scottwax
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Pictures would be a big help, full sun are best. Could be your paint has issues that will take buffer correction to allow UPGP to achieve the best look.

Personally, I am not a fan of finishes that are so reflective the color of the car disappears making it look like chrome. I like paint that looks like you could reach your hand into and never touch the metal.

AeroCleanse
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
If it doesn`t look as "deep" as you want, follow up with a good carnuba wax

Legacy
11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
ScratchX is not going to take all the swrils and marring out of your paint. To get the best reflection you need to prep the clear coat first. Have you ever looked thru really dirty or scratched glasses? Not as clear as when they are clean. You can put a $2k wax on it and if its not polished correctly it wont make a difference. If you want the ultimate shine regardless if you like a hard candy shine or a deep wet look, you will have to machine polish. Depending on your paint condition, it may take 2 or 3 different steps to achieve that ultimate shine. When you see those exotics with an awesome finish, do you think they just washed it, used some scratchX and finished off with UPGP? Some great detailers will take a few day`s to achieve those results. It all depends on what your after. Welcome to the world of detaliling.

Cleaning Fool
11-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, if you did the prep work by hand, there is part of the problem. If you want a mirror finish, you have to atleast have Porter Cable polisher.

Dan
11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I know what you mean, while Ultima does look good at certain angles, it just doesn`t seem to be that reflective when looking directly at it. I posted about it here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/121509-wowa-sealant-upgp-os-z-cs-jw-trigger-other-5.html

AuAltima3.5
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
why did you use scratch x after the ultima prep?

mirror finishes come from properly prepped paint. Do you have a machine to polish with?

Like said above, Ultima has some crazy reflections at an angle, but direct on isn`t so impressive directly on top of a panel (my experience).

Rebelranger
11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone, On the next day where the sun is right, I`ll add some pics. I am considering a polisher and this may be what makes me take the plunge..

Yakky, I`m reading through the thread you provided and my product is not clear and is Hazey, milky. My bottle has no date on the bottom!

Rebelranger
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
ScratchX is not going to take all the swrils and marring out of your paint. To get the best reflection you need to prep the clear coat first. Have you ever looked thru really dirty or scratched glasses? Not as clear as when they are clean. You can put a $2k wax on it and if its not polished correctly it wont make a difference. If you want the ultimate shine regardless if you like a hard candy shine or a deep wet look, you will have to machine polish. Depending on your paint condition, it may take 2 or 3 different steps to achieve that ultimate shine. When you see those exotics with an awesome finish, do you think they just washed it, used some scratchX and finished off with UPGP? Some great detailers will take a few day`s to achieve those results. It all depends on what your after. Welcome to the world of detaliling.

So are you saying my steps were wrong? I thought I did a great job prior to the UPGP.

I hear you on the polisher and am seriously about to get one!!! I just want the best products to get the best looks and durability.

Again what I did was:

a complete wash with dawn, followed by the UEPCS (their version of clay), which was different but results were very good followed by Ultima Paint Prep Plus-then removed scratches with scratchX 2.0, washed and cleaned with UPGW. Then I applied the UPGP.

Cleaning Fool
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone, On the next day where the sun is right, I`ll add some pics. I am considering a polisher and this may be what makes me take the plunge..

Yakky, I`m reading through the thread you provided and my product is not clear and is Hazey, milky. My bottle has no date on the bottom!

Thats the way my bottle is, I wouldn`t worry about it. Instead of chasing down more waxes/sealants, put your money into a polisher and polishes, it will be the best investment you can make for your paint and you will have it for years to come.

Rebelranger
11-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Cleaning Fool,

Any recommendations (polisher (I was looking at the cyclo orbital) and polishes) ? Before this, I was an uninformed consumer and bought the cheapest waxes. But I really want to get this right and before I touch my new Audi, I want to 1). Know what I`m doing, 2). Know what to use. 3). Know how to achieve the best results.

Scottwax
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Cleaning Fool,

Any recommendations (polisher (I was looking at the cyclo orbital) and polishes) ? Before this, I was an uninformed consumer and bought the cheapest waxes. But I really want to get this right and before I touch my new Audi, I want to 1). Know what I`m doing, 2). Know what to use. 3). Know how to achieve the best results.

Download the e-book (click the "how to" icon at the top of the page) and read through it. Read through the machine polishing section too so you have a good idea how to use a buffer before you get one.

Rebelranger
11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks Scott!

Rob22315
11-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Use the ultima paint prep plus last, as mentioned earlier. It is an extremely mild polish, actually, real correction with UPPP comes from the pad, not the polish IMHO. It is really intended to provide a chemical base for UPGP, not for real correction. By using another polish after, you`re missing it`s intended benefit.

Rebelranger
11-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Use the ultima paint prep plus last, as mentioned earlier. It is an extremely mild polish, actually, real correction with UPPP comes from the pad, not the polish IMHO. It is really intended to provide a chemical base for UPGP, not for real correction. By using another polish after, you`re missing it`s intended benefit.

Thanks! I`ll re do this soon. In the meantime I`m going to meet with a friend who has a business and get some tips. I may then get a PC and re-plan my actions.