PDA

View Full Version : Wax removal and ONR

Pages : [1] 2 3

cptzippy
10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
I`ve been using ONR for a while now but have a new question. In the past when it has been time to strip old wax, I`ve done a full two bucket wash with P21S Total Auto wash. Is there a better way to do it?

I`ve thought about doing an ONR wash then spray the P21S on each panel and hit it with ONR again. What do y`all think?

TIA,

Tony

BTW, not sure what wax/lsp (if any) will be on the car since it will be new to me.

imported_Devilsown
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
I would wash your car as normal rinse dry (you can use total auto wash if you want) then dry it off and then use 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol works wonders. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and distiled water. David B told me about the 50/50 mix and it worked great for me and thats what I use now. http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/124478-no-low-abrisive-wax-sealant-remover.html

Scottwax
10-31-2009, 10:02 PM
If you are going to polish the car, no point in removing whatever is on the car.

Dan
11-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I would wash your car as normal rinse dry (you can use total auto wash if you want) then dry it off and then use 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol works wonders. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and distiled water. David B told me about the 50/50 mix and it worked great for me and thats what I use now. http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/124478-no-low-abrisive-wax-sealant-remover.html

IPA is great for real waxes and oily polishes. It doesn`t do anything to modern sealants. But like Scott said, if you are polishing, who cares.

The Enforcer
11-01-2009, 08:32 AM
If you are going to polish the car, no point in removing whatever is on the car.

iver always heard the complete opposite. how is it that you can easily polish a car when it has layers or wax or sealers on it? you have to get down to the bare paint....i thought? not saying you are wrong.....just explain that to me? if you are going to polish a car, you want to remove all fillers and sealants so you can see what youre working with.

cptzippy
11-01-2009, 08:59 AM
And I`m really hoping not to have to polish. I have all the tools (PC, polishes, how to`s) but still not confindent in my ability. I looked closely at the cars at the dealership and they all looked very good so I`m crossing my fingers there aren`t any DISO :)

Accumulator
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM

UNLESS you have something really significant on there. I`ve only had serious issues when trying to polish through layered KSG, but I`ve had some minor ones when polishing through Collinite.

how is it that you can easily polish a car when it has layers or wax or sealers on it? you have to get down to the bare paint....i thought? not saying you are wrong.....just explain that to me?

The same way abrasives cut through paint (thus leveling the clearcoat), they`ll cut right through your LSP. The issues come into play when the LSP is to healthy that the polisher`s pad wants to glide across (as opposed to working the polish normally) as if "slipping" on the slippery wax and/or when the LSP getting cut off clogs up the pad.

Again, this usually isn`t much of an issue and after the polisher`s first pass across the panel it`s polished away all the LSP.

...I`m really hoping not to have to polish.

Then do the IPA, or a really strong Dawn wash (save your flames folks, it won`t hurt anything), or buy a gallon of the oh-so-good Hi-Temp PrepWash. But use any of these *after* a nice safe conventional wash with a high-lubricity shampoo.

Scottwax
11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
iver always heard the complete opposite. how is it that you can easily polish a car when it has layers or wax or sealers on it? you have to get down to the bare paint....i thought? not saying you are wrong.....just explain that to me? if you are going to polish a car, you want to remove all fillers and sealants so you can see what youre working with.

Are you kidding? If polishing will remove a bit of the clear coat, do you really think a wax or sealant can stand up to it?

Legacy
11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Are you kidding? If polishing will remove a bit of the clear coat, do you really think a wax or sealant can stand up to it?:wow:no brainer!

cptzippy
11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I`ll have to see about the condition when it gets here in a couple of days. Even if it needs a little correction, would it be wise to wait until after a Kansas winter to do it?

Scottwax
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I`ll have to see about the condition when it gets here in a couple of days. Even if it needs a little correction, would it be wise to wait until after a Kansas winter to do it?

As long as it is minor, I`d wait. If it needs a lot, get it out of the way now.

The Enforcer
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Are you kidding? If polishing will remove a bit of the clear coat, do you really think a wax or sealant can stand up to it?

no, why would i post something only to be kidding. sorry....it was just something that was said to me by a very VERY respected and knowledgable person on here via phone this week. i was having trouble buffing a car......and he mentioned that it is probably from the fact that i clayed the car with ONR....and ONR leaves a barrier on the car, similar to that of a sealer....the pad and polish just wasnt cutting the paint any.

no need to post a response in a smartass way....i dont care of you have over 20,000 posts like yourself, or barely 100 like me. we are all here to learn, which i have a lot to do. you couldve said that alot differently, without that smart tone, and got the same message across to me. you bein smart like that, causes other people such as legacy99 to be a smartass as well.

all im saying is......when you polish or correct a car, ive always heard it was best to remove ALL wax and sealers from the paint, since most of them contain fillers that will not allow you to see the true condition of the paint you are working on.

Scottwax
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
no, why would i post something only to be kidding. sorry....it was just something that was said to me by a very VERY respected and knowledgable person on here via phone this week. i was having trouble buffing a car......and he mentioned that it is probably from the fact that i clayed the car with ONR....and ONR leaves a barrier on the car, similar to that of a sealer....the pad and polish just wasnt cutting the paint any.

no need to post a response in a smartass way....i dont care of you have over 20,000 posts like yourself, or barely 100 like me. we are all here to learn, which i have a lot to do. you couldve said that alot differently, without that smart tone, and got the same message across to me. you bein smart like that, causes other people such as legacy99 to be a smartass as well.

all im saying is......when you polish or correct a car, ive always heard it was best to remove ALL wax and sealers from the paint, since most of them contain fillers that will not allow you to see the true condition of the paint you are working on.

Use some common sense please. Look at is this way. Paint is harder than any wax or sealant out there and if polishing removes defects from paint (by removing a whisper thin layer of paint), waxes and sealants don`t stand a chance. The only issue you may have is a heavy paste wax or a sealant may momentarily clog your pads if it was very recently applied (like Accumulator mentioned, Klasse SG).

Whoever told you that ONR makes buffing a car difficult apparently has never used it (or sells a product ONR competes against). I wash 99.5% of the cars I detail with ONR and have NEVER had an issue trying to buff it after whether I used a rotary or a RO polsher.

There aren`t any waxes or sealants that have enough fillers to hide much, if anything. Go ahead and strip the paint down if you wish, but odds are washing and claying will give you a pretty good indication of your starting point. Just trying to save people time. Everyone in the beginning wants to do eleventy billion step details and end up getting frustrated when a detail takes up a whole weekend on a car that really didn`t need more than a half day worth of work. Keep it simple. Wash, clay, polish, protect.

dervdave
11-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Keep it simple. Wash, clay, polish, protect.

Plain speaking and as usual Scott is exactly right but some just love to complicate even the simplest of tasks :chuckle:

The Enforcer
11-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Plain speaking and as usual Scott is exactly right but some just love to complicate even the simplest of tasks :chuckle:

and as usual, some people love to nut swing and join the bandwagon of being a smartass. whatever happened to folks being a little more polite on here instead of tryin to make an amatuer, someone who is here to learn, feel like an idiot.