PDA

View Full Version : 1500 sandscratches

solekeeper
10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I`m curious as to what you guys think would be best for cutting 1500 sand scratches.

-Currently using 3m`s Perfect it 3k I beleive (Forgot the full name)

I would like to switch because it dusts way too much, and is a hassle to clean up.

-Also, it tends to leave alot of micro-marring.

Can anyone recommend me something that can cut the equivalent to the 3m?

A pad to go along with the compound would also be great.

I ran across this, and these scratches loook TERRIBLE, and if the Mpo85 can handle this, with those kind of results, I think it could handle the 1500?

Thanks alot guys!

http://www.detailersdomain.com/menze...ishpo85rd.aspx

Automints
10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I`m curious as to what you guys think would be best for cutting 1500 sand scratches.

-Currently using 3m`s Perfect it 3k I beleive (Forgot the full name)

I would like to switch because it dusts way too much, and is a hassle to clean up.

-Also, it tends to leave alot of micro-marring.

Can anyone recommend me something that can cut the equivalent to the 3m?

A pad to go along with the compound would also be great.

I ran across this, and these scratches loook TERRIBLE, and if the Mpo85 can handle this, with those kind of results, I think it could handle the 1500?

Thanks alot guys!

http://www.detailersdomain.com/menze...ishpo85rd.aspx

What are you using, rotary?

I`ve tried M105 on PFW pad via rotary and worked just okay for me, mostly on soft clear though. Meg Ultimate Compound had done a better job. It finishes very well too. For really hard clear, though, I still have to go with the 3M Extra Cut rubbing compound with PFW pad or a more aggressive wool pad. (Assuming you have plenty of clear to work with) To me, dusting is not much of an issue because I usually wash the car again. This helps to remove the fillers/oils in polishes, too, and the LSP seems to bond to the paint better, IMO.

Bert
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
You could consider cross hatching the sanding marks with a finer grade of paper. In other words, take 2500 paper and go over the sanding marks in a perpendicular direction and then go over the sanding scratches with a compound like 105.

RaskyR1
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I`d agree with bert...I always finish off with 3000 grit. Usually M105 on a wool pad is all I need then.

solekeeper
10-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Yea thing is, the body shop I`am at uses up to 1500 that`s it.

I`m using a Makita btw!

imported_WhyteWizard
10-30-2009, 08:46 PM
If you cross cut 1500 with a second pass with lighter pressure that should help.

Otherwise I agree with the other posters who said the best way to remove 1500 grit scratch is with finer paper.

Robert

solekeeper
10-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Guys, finishing with anything above 1500 really isn`t an option.

I`ve narrowed it down to these two compounds.

Which one do you guys think I should shoot for?

Menzerna Power Gloss Compound S34A 16 oz (http://www.detailersdomain.com/menzernapowerglosscompounds34a16oz.aspx)

or

Meguiar`s Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - 32 oz | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiars-M43/Ultra-Cut-Compound-M105-P388/32-oz-S1/)

David Fermani
10-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Guys, finishing with anything above 1500 really isn`t an option.

You can`t slap some 3000 Trizact on a DA and run over the surface real quick? Only takes a couple of minutes and it will end all your headache of spending hours trying to remove the 1500 marks. Just an idea.

solekeeper
10-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Jeez, some of you guys make things more difficult then things should be.

The body shop I`am at isn`t using anything above 1500.

I have had fantastic results sanding with 1500 then compound/glaze/final polish, even on black.

I`m just looking for another compound that could do a bit better for me besides the 3M.. Like dusting less, creating less micro-marring etc.. And I have came down to those two in post number 7.

Does anyone have any input on the two?

creina1221
10-31-2009, 08:49 AM
I would say that M105 of those two, but for sand scratches, I like using Prestas 1500, sometimes the presta 1000 on hard clear. But if you`re narrowing down to those two, I`d go with the M105.

Good luck.