PDA

View Full Version : What to use when cleaning inside of wheel

Pages : [1] 2

Smitty2001
10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Thats right, the baked on gunk when you pull the wheel off. Whats something i can use on a honda wheel that will get that baked on stuff off?

vtec92civic
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
just the back side of the rims? Any rim cleaner should work. You will just need to let it pre soak for a little bit and agitate the gunk off.

P21 Wheel Gel

CG Sticky Wheel Gel

Miguiars Wheel Brightner

just to name a few will all work.

Smitty2001
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Yea the inside of the rim. Buying a used car and they have never been cleaned so i`ve never needed a cleaner for my wheels because i keep mine spotless. I think i`m leaning towards the P21s gel. Thanks man

vtec92civic
10-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Yea the inside of the rim. Buying a used car and they have never been cleaned so i`ve never needed a cleaner for my wheels because i keep mine spotless. I think i`m leaning towards the P21s gel. Thanks man

no problem. If the wheels are really that bad you will need something a little stronger then that.

Right now for stubborn wheels that have been neglected i usually use Meguiars Wheel Brightner and then go over it with a diluted APC.

P21s Wheel Gel does work but is more for medium dirty wheels that are a little more on the maintained side.

MichaelSpoots
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I use a lot of Meg`s Wheel Brightener with plenty of dwell time plus stiff-bristle scrubbing plus hand scrubbing with the rough green side of a sponge and the tough stuff still remains. I usually follow it with some APC+ which helps a little, but not much honestly.

Both of these chemicals work great when doing routine work, but I find them to be unsuccessful on those customers whose cars haven`t really been detailed before, and the inside wheel dish has 1+ years of caked-on brake dust :bawling:.

For this situation, I usually tell the client that the remaining stains inside the wheel dish will require a second cleaning a few months down the road when they want another cleanup or something...

Gotta pick up some P21S wheel stuff and see how that works.

Smitty2001
10-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Hmm Megs is cheaper too. Looks like i`ll get that. Gallon size too. Thanks!

jmsmitty16
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
stoner tarminator for the stubborn road grime

Accumulator
10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
IMO P21s gel is still too mild, and I dunno about the P21s Red version either. Nasty wheels call for something really potent (and be careful with stuff like Wheel Brightener).

In some (many?) cases, some pretty serious mechanical agitation can be required.

I sometimes scrub with very aggressive clay, using APC as the lube. Yeah, that dissolves the clay pretty fast.

The mildest of the Scotchbrite pads can work if the honeycomb-style wheel scrubbing stuff (and/or bug sponges) aren`t aggressive enough. But you are gonna have to scrub with *something* IMO.

In really bad cases, I`ve used the bristle brushes made for Dremels (the black plastic ones, not the metal bristle type). But be careful as the Dremel can do some damage if you overdo things.

Note that all such things can leave marring and that the finish on the back sides of wheels is often very thin/fragile.

tom p.
10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmm Megs is cheaper too. Looks like i`ll get that. Gallon size too. Thanks!

Smitty, be sure to read up on the health concerns when using a product like this and similar.

vtec92civic
10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
i did a BMW X5 the other day and it had never been detailed before. It was a newer model 4.8i which i would say had some brake dust on there from at least a year ago.

I did one round of wheel brightner and i usually dilute mine pretty good some where along the lines of 5:1

came back around a sprayed them a second time and let it soak for about 30 seconds

followed up with some Megs APC and a terry towel and the rims came out pretty spotless. I dedicated about the first 1.5hrs to the wheels and i was glad i did.

Dan
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Wheel Brightener is some serious stuff, DO NOT let it dwell for a long time otherwise it will dull and/or leave drip marks on your wheels. Do multiple applications with some aggitation.

DM101
10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
How about something like Purple Power APC diluted. What kind of rims are they? Chrome, Alum., clear coated?

Street5927
10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I like Detail King`s Brake Up. It puts the P21S to shame.

Smitty2001
10-28-2009, 07:22 PM
How about something like Purple Power APC diluted. What kind of rims are they? Chrome, Alum., clear coated?

polished alum clear coated.

vtec92civic
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
purple power is ok for the money for the grunt work type stuff. I believe from what i have read it is not safe for paint like Meguiars APC.

I usually use Purple Power for stuff like:

tires

rubber trims

wheel wells

and that day i had trouble with the rims i used some on only the back side of the rim but i dilute mine heavily.

Other then that Meguiars APC for most other things.