PDA

View Full Version : Rubber trim & door handles turned white...what can I use to make them black again?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Darin
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
The rubber trim around the door and windows has faded white a little, and same goes for the door handles. What type of product do I need to make it look factory finish again? :woot:

elitemobile
10-25-2009, 05:48 PM
The best over the counter thing I have found in the past is I think it was called Back to Black by mothers....if its truly faded

If it has built up polish or wax residue youll want to remove that first before treating it

imported_Jakerooni
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
back to black by mother`s is about as useful as a wet paper bag. The stuff has let me down every time I`ve gotten suckered into using the crap.

But it does sound to me like you have a product issue. First thing is to switch your wax to something that is rubber and trim safe. get some glass cleaner and soak the trim let dwell for a few seconds or so and then try to scrub off. If it comes off it was definatly a product build up issue.

imported_detail1
10-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I like Megs Trim Detail. I also have Mother`s Back to Black but i have not used it since I bought the Megs.

I bought Forever Black but never used it. I think it has a dye in it. I will have to try it soon.

Passrat
10-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I use 303 for that. Both to clean off the residue and to treat the rubber making it black again. Then afterwards if you keep putting it on every week or so for a few weeks it`ll soak into the rubber to where it wont take any more. At that point it`s like brand new rubber (the main ingredient is actually a part of rubber) and will stay like that for several months.

I just retouched my window trim for the first time since the spring, and it really wasn`t bad at all, I just had some time on my hands after a wash.

All these rubber dressings are the same main ingredient (PTFE), just at different concentrations, and 303 has the highest concentration. Megs trim detailer is #2.

Forever Black is a dye that IMO looks a bit more like ink. It`s a blacker (slightly blueish at first), more of a surface coating, where the others are more satiny and natural looking. I like the look of 303 better than FB but it`s really pretty close. And the FB doesn`t require repeated applications.

imported_Darin
10-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Ahh I seen Megs trim in the store today, I should of bought that; I`ll pick that up soon.

Thanks guys :).

Passrat
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Ahh I seen Megs trim in the store today, I should of bought that; I`ll pick that up soon.

Thanks guys :).

The black bottle IIRC.

Cleaning Fool
10-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Try some kiwi black liquid shoe polish. Cheap and very affective, used it many many times.

solstice
10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I use Z`mols Seal treatment liquid. Works quite nicely in making old hard rubber soft again and adds some nice smelling oils, however if used to much it can go greasy on you. Also depending on where you are you could get the Z1 Gummipflege stuff, which seems to work pretty well on some cars, (just for some odd reason seems to attract dust on the rubber from mercedes).

Street5927
10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
I am partial to Leatherique Rubber Black. I use it on both rubber and faded vinyl surfaces. Here is a pic of a Jaguar X-Type I did last week. I used the Rubber Black on some faded vinyl. You can see the difference...and it holds up very well against the weather.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/street5927/Jaguar%20X-type/DSCN4304.jpg

lyonsroar
10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I`ve actually heard Peanut Butter works. Never tried it though, can`t vouch for it.

I use Back to Black but it doesn`t last long and tends to run down the sides of the car when it rains.

I used Forever Black on a part of my trim and it streaked a little bit, but it`s still black 6 months later.

imported_mobenzowner
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Poorboy`s Trim Restore is also a pretty nice product.

Accumulator
10-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I`d first figure out what`s turning the pieces white. Is it LSP/etc. residue? Is it oxidation?

What`s the condition of the material *under* the white stuff?

I`ve dealt with this in all sorts of ways, from using 1Z Paint Polish and/or KAIO to more conventional rubber-treatment regimens.

So far, the absolute best rubber prep product I`ve used is Griot`s Rubber Prep (pn 11071). That stuff has worked near-miracles for me. BTW, the Ultima trim stuff has *kept* those surfaces nice for a good long time too, but if you`d rather use 303/etc. the Rubber Prep will at least get things ready for it.

On some oxidized rubber (e.g., the rubber casings that Audi uses to enclose wiring that goes into the doors), it was absolutely imperative to get rid of the oxidation before treating with 303/etc.

Peanut butter is usually just a way to cover issues up with oils, though crunchy varieties can effect a bit of scrubbing (sorta like the stuff that`s in AutoGlym`s Bumper Care, a much better alternative IMO). Note that there can be unintended consequences to rubbing foodstuffs on your vehicle; it`s not something I`d want to do to any of mine.

Setec Astronomy
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Note that there can be unintended consequences to rubbing foodstuffs on your vehicle; it`s not something I`d want to do to any of mine.

Yeah, the rodinks are attracted enough to the rubber alone!

Accumulator
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Exactly.

I`ve settled on peaceful co-existence, and that goes a lot smoother if I don`t make my stuff more palatable ;)