PDA

View Full Version : Dealership ideas

Jean-Claude
10-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I have spoken with a few dealerships and had a great response from them. In my experience, if I knew I had the means to actually care for them as they needed(3-5 employees and the funds to pay those 3-5 employees for 5-6 weeks as well as supplies) I could get the accounts. I recognize that it would be foolhardy of me to get an account like that and not be able to support it properly right now.

I enjoy the hands-on of the retail market working directly for the car enthusiast, ect. But my goal is not to do this all by myself forever. I think the best way to get that is to start making a move for part of my business to dealership work. Ideally, offer both retail and dealership what they need.

One area that appears to have the door to that chance is PDR. Dealerships don`t have as much a demand for PDR as for shop washes and details on all used cars and I`ve not seen anyone doing it in-house. Basically, if I could get a few dealerships to send some PDR work my way I could start by hiring just one full-timer to handle the PDR for dealerships and retail.

Does this seem like an accurate perception?

Also, what options are there for learning the trade? I don`t have any desire to go to work for a PDR company knowing that they would invest a large sum training me and intentionally leaving them hanging. I have heard the training seminars are not worth it either. Any ideas there?

Dan
10-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Most of the luxury dealerships have PDR guys come visit them on a regular basis. I`m not sure that is a big money maker as its another cut throat business. The dealership detailing gig is pretty bad too, there are several threads about fellow autopians that have done work for dealers, its definatley not a huge money maker.

imported_Jakerooni
10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Dealerships are a complete and total pain in the a$$. they want a 20 hour correction done in 2 hours and if you tell them anything over $100 for everything completely done to perfection they laugh you right off the lot and hire the next hack artist. They are demanding and quite unforgiving. They know full well if you can`t get it "looking" like perfection in the time they set the next guy will. It will pay some bills if you get the right accounts. But be prepared to deal with the hassle`s thay always come along with it. PDR really isn`t a huge demand if they have their own body shop. You need to hit up auctions and corner lots that don`t have access to body shops and then you can make some good money in the PDR`s. But again that feild is highly labor intensive for very little cash per. The money comes from banging them out for 14 hours a day 6 days a week. I know of a guy that will train you in the PDR techniques for $10,000. Which is a helluva deal considering.

fergnation
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Be prepared to chase storms if you get into the PDR. You can make a lot of money off one nice hail storm. We had one here four to five months ago and the PDR shops opened on every corner. Getting one dent out for thirty bucks is one thing. Getting twenty out after a storm and charging the insurance co. six grand is another.

MaksimumAuto
10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok first thing I have to say is anybody that says you can`t make money in dealerships should insert foot in mouth. They are a detailer first and a business man second. Dealerships are the easiest way to get rich detailing(managing the detailers that work for you). Here in Baltimore there is a detailing company which I have a lot of respect for and the owner is a very cool guy who I admire. Last year they did $7,000,000 in details here in Baltimore. At about $200 per car that`s 35,000 cars or about 100 a day. About 98% of it is dealership work. They have 2 retail shops within 2 miles of each other and 15 wholesale shops for dealerships. The owner is filthy rich at about 30-35 with a smoking hot girlfriend. I asked him if he still details and he laughed. At that point I realized where the real money is made.

Be a businessman, not a detailer. The detailer life involves making $60 an hour+...having a shop or a van...and making a good living doing a trade. The business man life involves making $150K+ a year, choosing which shop you`ll visit tomorrow, and scouting for new locations to expand in.

You choose which one you want to be..the detailer or the business man.

I used to think that detailers don`t make a lot of money. I found out....they don`t. The ones that do are the business man who hire the detailers.

I`m only 17 right now and busting my balls do get the DA and microfiber out of my hand ASAP and exchange it for a clip board and a crackberry. I honestly can say I love the business aspect of detailing more than I love detailing. Crucify me if you want, but I use detailing as a vessel to provide me with the funds I need to live my life instead of working it away. For me success is traveling, having kids, and traveling more. I`m not satisfied taking swirls out until I`m 60. It`s all subjective inbetween individuals. Do what makes you happy. If your passion is detailing...then detail. If you would like to make money and spend more time with your family than with your buffer...then expand.

My goal is to own a detailing business....not run one.

imported_Jakerooni
10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I don`t think anyone said you can`t make a killing at the dealership`s.. It`s just a huge headache and hassle to do so. The guy I`m working with training his staff right now has 3 big dealerships and a handfull of smaller one`s. The one I train the guys at is a $20,000/mth account. times that by 4-5 good dealerships and you`re in bank heaven. But it`s extreamly cut throat and you`re gravey train today can be snatched away from you just as easily tomorrow. There are no garuntee`s in dealership work. As soon as the next guy comes in and under cuts you. Unless your far above and beyond your out.

Jean-Claude
10-26-2009, 05:07 AM
Let`s not get off topic and argue fellas. I think I have a fair understanding how it works. Business and success does not always mean taking the easy path though. In most cases it does not. But when it`s raining for 2 months straight and retail clients tend to not want work done(not as much as you want and/or need) putting up with dealership frustration doesn`t seem so bad when you know that they are having 5 details that day and every day.

Just like Maxsim, I don`t want to be breaking my back for the rest of my life.