PDA

View Full Version : All in one wax

Malachi71
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Due to a busy schedule, I do not get to put a lot of time into waxing my vehicle. I`m looking for recommendations for an over-the-counter quality wax that will clean the surface, give great protection (especially from salt), will last a long time, and that is easy to apply and remove.

I know I`m asking a lot but is there a wax out there that fulfills all these areas?

JeffW
12-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh, man...that doesn`t sound like fun at all :bawling:

About all I can suggest is after you have done a good job prep`ing and applying your sealant of choice (something real durable like UPP), then maintain with OCW or UPPS, and some S&G once in a while after spraying down at the do-it-yourself car wash place.

budman3
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Jeff- it doesnt seem like he is looking to buy online (UPP, S&G, OCW etc) so my opinion is to go to all of the auto parts store near you and look for Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax. This, IMO, will be your best bet for an OTC sealant that should last some time. If time permitting, add several layers to your vehicle after the recomended cure time (24 h). Just remember your car won`t look great with just an LSP, you need to polish, clay and seal to get it clean and remove some swirls. Good luck.

Edit- #26 won`t clean the surface. Megs NxT could clean the surface moreso but that gives up durability... you are quite limited to OTC products.

Mad iX
12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
OTC ...
Meguiar`s ColorX - Strong cleaner, with decent protection. Maybe 6-8 weeks durability.
NXT - Light cleaners, also 6-8 weeks durability or maybe a bit more.
Mothers Reflections - Light cleaners, ~8 weeks durability.

I don`t know if OCW or UPPS are OTC over there. They have pretty much nothing in the way of cleaners but will be nice on top of Klasse AIO.

Mikeyc
12-05-2005, 05:07 PM
The problem with "all in one" products is that they typically do everything . . . but do not do anything well. They tend not to have as much cleaning power as a good polish and they tend to not be as durable or leave quite the shine that a good LSP will. On the upside, if you spend the time once to properly prep your car with a polish and then apply an LSP your car will look great and the maintenance of the paint will be much easier in the long run.

tubafeak
12-05-2005, 05:10 PM
It`s not OTC but AIO would be good for you. It protects pretty well and it definetly cleans well.

Larry A
12-05-2005, 06:11 PM
I second the AIO, but for over the counter I would say Color X, Mothers cleaner-wax. If you dont need a lot of cleaning power then NXT, FX, Nano,and Turtle WAx Pug.

JeffW
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Jeff- it doesnt seem like he is looking to buy online (UPP, S&G, OCW etc) so my opinion is to go to all of the auto parts store near you and look for Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax. This, IMO, will be your best bet for an OTC sealant that should last some time. If time permitting, add several layers to your vehicle after the recomended cure time (24 h). Just remember your car won`t look great with just an LSP, you need to polish, clay and seal to get it clean and remove some swirls. Good luck.

Edit- #26 won`t clean the surface. Megs NxT could clean the surface moreso but that gives up durability... you are quite limited to OTC products.

Yep, I know, but like you said he would be limited by sticking to OTC products.

bigron62
12-05-2005, 09:39 PM
megs gold class is a good 1 step product .. im using it more than i want to admit

atticdog
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
autozone
Long Haul 24 oz bottle Polish/Wax
pretty nice 1 step product

BlackSunshine
12-05-2005, 10:10 PM
If you plan on putting on more than one coat of any one product....instead; I would go with Color X and then a coat of Collinite Insulator Wax. These are products you should be able to find OTC and do a really good job. Follow that with a synthetic polymer/carnauba QD such as Turtle wax platinum ultra gloss. IW rocks for durability and ColorX provides a good base cleaning + protection.

tubafeak
12-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I forgot about Long Haul, good stuff. Not quite AIO or PwC but definetly a good product.

Malachi71
12-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the great input. There is an Autozone about 45 minutes from my home. I`ll check out the Long Haul wax.

I`m surprised no one recommended NuFinish. Especially, Big Ron!

The Chee
12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I read there`s a Long Haul starter kit with 4oz. versions of four products: Truck Wash, Truck Gloss, Tire Seal & Shine, and Truck Polish/Wax at only..................$5 at Autozone...

happy shopping :beer_smil

Malachi71
12-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I read there`s a Long Haul starter kit with 4oz. versions of four products: Truck Wash, Truck Gloss, Tire Seal & Shine, and Truck Polish/Wax at only..................$5 at Autozone...

happy shopping :beer_smil
That`s a good deal. Especially since I`ve never tried Long Haul before. The posts that mention it above are the first I`ve ever heard of it. I hope it proves to be a good product.

Since it is an OTC wax, how much better is Long Haul than Turtle Wax or NuFinish?

Is it more of a polymer or caranuba wax?