PDA

View Full Version : 845 with DWG

Make it shine!
10-24-2009, 06:06 AM
I have just bought 845 becuase of its durability especially for the winter as I`m in NY. Is it best to top it with DWG or top DWG with 845? I don`t want to compromise the durability of 845 as well as dull the wet look of DWG since this is the #1 reason i use it. Any advise I have looked and searched the site but can`t find any good advice about this combo. Thanks alot, I look forward to the suggestions and your experiences with these products?

steelwind101
10-24-2009, 06:09 AM
If you put the DWG on top, it wont last all winter. My advice would be to put DWG before your 845. Then put some DWG on top of 845 after a few washes to refresh the looks.

Any DWG you put on top of the 845 will effect beading/sheeting as it starts to become deteriorate.

Geoff

SuperBee364
10-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Ask two people, get two different answers, right? :)

A Rule of Thumb is to put the most durable LSP down first. That`s your base coat. Whatever you put on top is adhering to whatever you already put down, and not the clear coat itself. Most stuff isn`t going to adhere/bond to an LSP as well as it will to clear coat.

So you put down the 845 first. It gets to adhere to the clear coat for maximum durability. Then you put down whatever you want over the top, realizing that it isn`t going to last as long, but you should have the 845 underneath it. (Although there`s a couple threads over at DW that have the whole layering idea up in the air...)

jimmie jam
10-24-2009, 08:46 AM
ah, the 845 debate. i find that it is not really necessary to put ANYTHING on top or under 845. why :nixweiss? when you prep properly and apply 2 layers of 845 what else are you looking for? if its a DD and out in the weather you want protection. you can "boost" the look later on. fresh, done right 845 looks fab to me. :furious: :bolt

STSInNYC
10-24-2009, 02:36 PM
It looks as though we will have a real winter this year in our area. For winter I would have 845 as the top layer; if using DWG also, it would be under. April-October, no problem having DWG as the top layer (I use it April-October). I would recommend two layers of 845 for winter, maybe three if your car is outside most of the time. I have used 476 in the past as my winter sealant, three coats got us from October through April in good shape. We do a lot of driving in the mountains in the winter, salt, sludge et al.

imported_RedlineIRL
10-24-2009, 10:03 PM
ah, the 845 debate. i find that it is not really necessary to put ANYTHING on top or under 845. why :nixweiss? when you prep properly and apply 2 layers of 845 what else are you looking for? if its a DD and out in the weather you want protection. you can "boost" the look later on. fresh, done right 845 looks fab to me. :furious: :bolt

Yep, if prepped right 845 looks good by itself. The 845 will not last as long with DWG on it that is for sure, IMO it doesn`t really make much of an increase in appearance either with 845

tenorplayer23
10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
I`d agree with the comments re: order of product layering. First, apply the sealant then add the Collinite, if desired. I recently did my Impala with Optimum Opti-Seal and then Collinite 845. In my opinion, the 845 on top of the Opti-Seal probably wasn`t as glossy as the Opti-Seal by itself. But for durability, I added the extra Collinite layer.

This will be the first Western NY winter for this combo. Will have to see if the combination is as good as the Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax I have used in the past. For an OTC product, it was bulletproof and pretty glossy. My only complaint was ease of removal. Regardless of thickness, it was stubborn. But buffed up, it looked very good.

Let`s hope the new products fair better. :) They should.......and were much easier to apply and/or remove.

But that`s just my opinion......................I could be wrong!

See ya. :wavey

Bunky
10-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Will have to see if the combination is as good as the Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax I have used in the past.

This a product would not likely get much discussion time here.

Dan
10-25-2009, 06:54 AM

Yep, one of those products that is meant for poorly (not at all) prepped surfaces.

tenorplayer23
10-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Probably not, but interestingly enough, it does give pretty good results.....especially for the money. Unfortunately for Black Magic, the one drawback is difficulty of removal.......stubborn.

For Optimum Opti-Seal, their Spray Car Wax and even Poli-Seal AIO, application, removal and general use are so much easier. Same with the Collinite I used for the first time (which is made just a 120 miles own the road, amazingly enough).

Opti-Seal`s appearance was especially bright after application & drying. Doesn`t need anything else on top of it for great looks.

See ya. :wavey

STSInNYC
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
If I lived in the Rochester area, I think I would have at least two and probably three coats of 845 (or 476/885 or FK 1000P) on my car for winter, with all the salt and sludge you have to deal with most winters.