PDA

View Full Version : scratch x work as swirl remover?

Reflection
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi, my car has some light swirl marks on it and I went out to the store today to buy something to take care of it. I was looking for Swirl X 2.0 and accidentally grabbed Scratch X 2.0. I was wondering is it t safe to use on my entire car as I would Swirl X to remove swirls?

From what I`ve read, Scratch X 2.0 is similar stuff, just stronger.

bogi094
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi, my car has some light swirl marks on it and I went out to the store today to buy something to take care of it. I was looking for Swirl X 2.0 and accidentally grabbed Scratch X 2.0. I was wondering is it t safe to use on my entire car as I would Swirl X to remove swirls?

From what I`ve read, Scratch X 2.0 is similar stuff, just stronger.

are you doing this by hand? I used the original scratchX and i found it good for swirls and light scratches, dont know how much they changed it though

Reflection
10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Yup, all by hand =)

I`m afraid to use cheap buffers. I have a lot of time on my hand though and a lot of love to my car, so it`s not worry.

Dan
10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I was never happy with the 1.0 version. I think ultimate compound and swirlx will make for a much better combo. If you can see the swirls easily, you need the UC, especially if you are nuts enough to try by hand.

Reflection
10-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I`ll have to go back and take a look then.

The meguiar`s product video said the Scratch X was a stronger product though. So I was just assuming. You`re probably right though, it would make sense.

efnfast
10-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Yup, all by hand =)

I`m afraid to use cheap buffers. I have a lot of time on my hand though and a lot of love to my car, so it`s not worry.

You need a quality (not necessarily expensive) buffer like a pc or flex or cyclo.

Hand polishing can take out verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry minor stuff, but to do the entire car will be a waste of time.

It`s got nothing to do with loving your car and having a lot of free time - it`s highly ineffective and a waste of time.

Not to mention that hand application for most people can result (in some cases) in more clearcoat damage - you`re applying uneven force in a specific area, and can burn the clear doing this.

Dan
10-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I`ll have to go back and take a look then.

The meguiar`s product video said the Scratch X was a stronger product though. So I was just assuming. You`re probably right though, it would make sense.

Tape off a small square, say 12x12" and see how long its going to take you to get your paint the way you want it. Then do the math. A $99 PC is so worth it.