PDA

View Full Version : protecting a new catback exhaust

daviddear30
10-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Is there anything i can add to a new stainless cat back to keep it protected and easy to clean.

The only recomendations i have heard was to coat it with high temp engine clear cote paint. and/or polish

any other tips you guys have would be great

BobD
10-23-2009, 07:21 AM
If it`s a good grade stainless I would not worry about it. Is it like a show car or something where people will see under it and it needs to shine? I had a magnaflow cat back and a HKS axle back exhaust and neither needed anything special to keep clean.

daviddear30
10-23-2009, 07:27 AM
no it definately isnt a show car. It just has two really big canister mufflers that will be fairly visible from behind. They will be under car but the angle that they go out to the side i think they will be partly visible-so i just wanted to get it protected to make it easier to keep it clean.

I am not sure the quality of steel it is made with. :(

BobD
10-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Are they polished stainless or just regular?

I kept a coat of sealant on my canisters. Who knows if it actually held up because I was never sure how hot my mufflers got. I did not want to find out. LOL But if you just wash them when you wash your car you`ll be good I think.

efnfast
10-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I wouldn`t bother; it`s going to get dirty. When it gets too dirty, just spray it down with water, clean it up, then shine it up with some 0000 steel wool+windex.

red kiosk
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Are you talking about the inside or outside of the exhaust tips? I use a high quality 4" mushroom buff w/ drill attachment to buff the insides of my tips. I start with the "green" buffing compound for a few minutes and then onto simichrome paste. The simichrome paste seems to leave a coating that enables them to be cleaned up easily. Exhaust tips can be maintained on a daily basis easier when they are still hot. I keep a thick cotton "diaper" on the workbench near the rear of the car. After I get out and on my way around the car, I grab the diaper, do a "shoe-shine" buff to the outside of the tips, then wrap it around my hand and stick in the tips for a quick twist and polish. When I wash the car, they sparkle with whatever soap I`m using. Take care!