PDA

View Full Version : help with pcxp polishing

jose206
10-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I`m new to the pc and was wondering how you guys are doing a whole car with this machine. I feel like its going to knock off an emblem when I come near one or burn some trim. The trow is pretty far out... how are you guys handling this problem?

vtec92civic
10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
PC`s tend to vibrate a lot. When taking any sort of buffer to a vehicle it is always a good idea to tape off:

edges

trims

moldings

emblems

stickers

windshield washer sprayers

and anything else that could be the cause of a potential issue. If there are say big paint chips i usually toss a little tape on those areas as well.

After the prep work is done everything should be smooth sailing from there as the trim and everything will be protected with the tape and you won`t have to worry so much about bumping into the painters tape.

jose206
10-23-2009, 12:04 AM
so emblems should be fine if I just tape them off? I just feel like that orange pad might bump it and send it flying lol

vtec92civic
10-23-2009, 12:13 AM
so emblems should be fine if I just tape them off? I just feel like that orange pad might bump it and send it flying lol

it shouldn`t. i have bumped into stuff before. Seems like it does more damage to my pad then the emblem LoL.

Just tape all stuff like that off and you should be good to go. It might seem like extra work but it`s prep work like that that will help prevent accidents.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I RARELY tape things, I usually just avoid them, and give a little special hand attention.

Tips:

Keep a constant even pressure on the machine while using.

Properly manipulate its movement with pressure and speed.

Dont increase speed until manipulation is under control.

Avoid emblems, headlight teets, wiper nozzles, plastic edges as they tend to gouge pads.

Match pad with product.

Atlantic Euro
10-24-2009, 05:50 PM
There is vibration, but it shouldn`t feel out of control - make sure your counterweight is installed...

jose206
10-25-2009, 11:10 PM
might seem dumb, but what a counterweight? where is it? I read about this before just didn`t pay much attention since I didn`t own a da. Whats the standard weight it comes with?

Accumulator
10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I`d be astounded if a PC came through without the counterweight. IMO people just don`t expect it to vibrate as much as it normally does.

Atlantic Euro
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I`d be astounded if a PC came through without the counterweight. IMO people just don`t expect it to vibrate as much as it normally does.

I agree. At higher speeds, the 5" counterweight tends to lead to more vibration than the PCXP w/ the 6" counterweight installed - or at least it seems to.