PDA

View Full Version : shopvac / wet/dry vac

ironexecutioner
10-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I am looking to get a good detailing vac. I was told that the "Waterlift" ability is a good means of judging the quality of a unit. I am having difficulty locating this spec on most units. Any idea where I could locate some comparisons or anything?

If you have recommendations of specific models/brands (links would be great) that would be helpful too! I want to make sure whatever I get has good strong suction. Also looking for a wall mount unit if I can find one; however, that seems to prove more difficult to come by. Thanks!

SilverQx4
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
i am also looking for a good wet/dry vac and came across this one. Seems like a good deal with good specs.

Shop-Vac 5-Gallon Contractor Wet/Dry Portable Shop Vac — 5.5 HP, Model# 5872462 | Vacuums | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329395_200329395)

JFlo
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Personally I have a Ridgid, it is more than powerful enough (I think my has peak HP at 6.5), and they are also wet/dry wacs. You can also buy an auto detailing kit, for about 45 bucks that has all the nosels, as well as an extra long hose which is conveninent for detailing! You can get both the kit and wac itself at Home Depot.

ironexecutioner
10-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Any others? I have looked at rigids. They seem to get good reviews. Also found a wall mountable craftsman I was considering.

tenorplayer23
10-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I`ve been looking into a wall mounted systems.

Have found two wall mounted vacuums that seem to be a little better than the norm.

Bissell makes a wet/dry wall mounted unit:

Garage Pro, Canister Vacuum Cleaners (http://www.bissell.com/Products/p/garagepro/product.aspx)

Hoover`s wall mounted unit is for dry pick-up only:

GUV Garage Utility Vacuum: Hoover`s Best Hanging Garage & Car Vac - Perfect for Shops & Basements (http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=L2310&ds=false)

Based on discussions with vendors, I will probably select the Bissell. Seems to be a little more powerful, wet/dry plus comments on noise between the two say the Bissell is a bit quieter. All other tool, hose length, et.al. seem approx. the same for both. Undoubtedly, the Hoover is more popular, but I think Bissell gets my vote in this case.

Hope that helps.

See ya. :wavey

vtec92civic
10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
i personally have been using Craftsman for years . . . . or since day one. I love the vacuum`s and i love the warranty too . . . . . but i have been hearing a lot of good about Rigid. Problem is they are very costly.

Depends on what exactly your needs are etc . . . . i happened to catch a Rigid when it was on sale for a very good price of $20 so i snagged it as a back up vacuum.

As for the waterlift i have never heard that being a spec of wet/dry vacuums. That is is a spec of a carpet extractor.

thedetailer
10-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I love rigid. Have had mine for 3 years and still going strong. Just replace the filter every once in a while

salty
10-23-2009, 02:49 AM
The few ratings on Shop-Vac`s I have seen have a rating of less than 90 in/w/lift.

Can`t remember the exact # but the whole line seemed to have about the same.

JimmyCutlass
10-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I got this Snap-On shop vac at my local Pep Boys on sale for $60. It has enough suction to lift car mats right up off the floor, is pretty good at sucking out moisture from rugs and had enough power to suck up any particulate you throw at it. The hose is really convenient because of the way it retracts like a slinky. It is also fairly compact which is helpful if you have a mobile detailing business (like myself) or don`t want to take up a whole bunch of space in your garage/home. I don`t know about its peak HP or much the normal sale price is but I must say I am pretty happy with mine.

Snap-on Tools, JS Products, shop vacuum | Miscellaneous Blog & Discussions at Corvette Fever Magazine (http://blogs.corvettefever.com/6502112/miscellaneous/snap-on-tools-js-products-shop-vacuum/index.html)

unleashedfury
10-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a 5hp shop vac. Its been used pretty hard though. Durability wise I can`t complain but I`d believe there are better vacs out there for sucking/ wet and dry.

The vac that Jimmy Cutlass is referring to is available also through amazon.. for 70 bucks.

Amazon.com: Snap-on 93050 Wet/Dry Vacuum - 4 Gallon: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Snap-93050-Wet-Dry-Vacuum/dp/B001MUNG62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1256354775&sr=8-1)

byalegend
10-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I love my Ridgid vac. I use it for just about everything.

dschribs
10-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Quick question on shop vacs - when using to suck up water - say on floor mats after hose/power washing - do you take out the filter???

salty
10-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I never use paper in mine, just the foam filter. Suck up some water to wet the foam and it is ok for vacuuming up water and dirt. If you are going to vacuum something like drywall dust I would use a paper filter.

pingable
10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I`m going to throw the monkey wrench in this discussion...

Let`s preface that I only use a vac for dry purposes. I have a extractor for wet/carpet applications.

I use my Miele vac cause it`s got a great portable roto-brush, extra long crevice noozzle, SOFT horsehair brush attachments and a mini-nozzle that gets in all the tight spaces.

Granted some of this can be accomplished by pre-wiping with a painters brush of some sort....but then you do need to vac/wipe the dust you have moved anyhow.

I`d be curious if there is a ~miele~ solution like I use but geared towards a commercial/industrial application. My only gripe is the cost of parts and consumables likes bags.

Then again, I just looked at a replacement bag for my Festool vac and it`s $200.

I was actually of Ridgids site just looking at their attachments as I was interested in something less expensive than my Miele...for a different application but still car related, and these ~shop vac~ just don`t carry the attachments that makes the Miele system in my mind so Worthwhile.