PDA

View Full Version : Last call: Jet Black kit..

Pages : [1] 2

WCM3
10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey guys,

So last time I detailed my 335i I used strictly Poorboys (SSR 1-3) products. After discussing this with a bunch of people, they have turned me onto Menzerna products. They said that Menzerna are hands down better so I wanted to give them a try. I`m getting ready for my winter detail so I ordered some new products from Glimmer Glass. This time I plan to wash the car with some Poorboys shampoo, clay the car using ONR as a lube, then begin the swirl removing part. I heard many reviews that the best way to attack jet black is to start with the SIP (PO83) and a orange pad followed up with the Super Finish (106 FA) with a white pad. I then planned to jetseal 109 it with a blue pad twice, followed up by Dodo Juice Blue Velvet on a blue pad. I didn`t order the Menzerna yet, so I`m asking are these the two best products to use on the soft jet black paint?

Thanks,

Mike

WCM3
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
really..no one?

Nikku
10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Most of the BMW`s that require multi step details resulted in me reaching for white polishing pad and blue finishing pad in combination with SIP, Power Finish, PO85rd and 3M Ultrafina.

With JB Bmw`s specifically depending on the severity of the swirls I love the combination of a white pad a SIP and I would finish it up with PO85rd and blue pad. I don`t particularly like Power Gloss so on severe JB cases I use my Tufbuf wool pads with SIP and then follow it up with a white polishing pad and Power Finish and depending on time restrictions and the finish that I want I would finish up with blue pad on ultrafina or PO85rd.

Hope this helps.

Greg Nichols
10-23-2009, 06:28 PM
If your car is in good order 106FA should give you great results on a blue pad, may be a black. I would definativly use 3M UF as my finish, it will clear up any halos and micro marring I like to use 3m`s blue UF pad.

I just don`t have good results with ceramic polishes above 106fa and jet black BMW, such as SIP.

Cheers,

GREG

impulse922
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I`m no pro and I`m far from it, but you may want to stay away from those more aggressive polishes if you plan on polishing it every year..

That being said, i have had great results with Menzerna polishes, MPII is my favorite

jeffvb9
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
After much research for my black 06 BMW e90 I am going with:

SIP - Orange (the previous owners did not know how to take car of a vehicle and it does have pretty bad swirl marks)

106FF - White pad

PO85RD - Blue Pad

Not sure what I am sealing it with yet.

WCM3
10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Well guys, I did my last detail November 2008. The orange pad/SSR 2.5, then white pad/SSR1 cleared up most the swirls. But as you know the next time you wash jet black you have swirls once again. This time around, the swirls aren`t very noticable except for under lights at nighttime. I`ll probably start with the less aggressive polish and see if that clears it up. But if it doesn`t I would just need a little more aggressive polish to go back to.

FYI, guys I am doing this all with my UDM.

Also, I am being told that power finish (PO203S) followed up by PO85RD works pretty good.

lasthope05
10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I would say take a look over at Totoland Mach`s threads. His specialty seems to be black bmw`s. I loved all his work but he hasnt been on in ages.

Black BMW From Horrible to Honorable - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/16261-black-bmw-horrible-honorable.html)

Only thing Blacker than this BMW 530i is Deep Space! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/14542-only-thing-blacker-than-bmw-530i-deep-space.html)

Very Difficult Black 745i - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/15985-very-difficult-black-745i.html)

02 BMW Black 330 Ci Convertible - Nice - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/12901-02-bmw-black-330-ci-convertible-nice.html)

Black, Really Black 2000 BMW 740iL - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/12957-black-really-black-2000-bmw-740il.html)

WCM3
10-27-2009, 06:46 AM
I would say take a look over at Totoland Mach`s threads. His specialty seems to be black bmw`s. I loved all his work but he hasnt been on in ages.

Looks great, the only thing that won`t help is that Toto uses a rotary. My only machine is a Universal Detailing Machine and I don`t plan on picking up anything else. That`s what worries me about 3M Ultrafina..can that be used on a DA?

SuperBee364
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
for jet blck BMW and a DA, I would *highly* recommend Menzerna Intensive Polish (NOT Super Intensive Polish) on a white LC pad, followed by Menzerna Final Polish II on a gray, blue, or red LC pad.

PO85RD is a Ceramiclear rated polish; it is meant for use on very *hard* clear coats, not very *soft* clear coats like yours. You run the risk of a very bad outcome with it on very soft paints. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Don`t risk it: get the FPII which will finish down beautifully every time.

WCM3
10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
for jet blck BMW and a DA, I would *highly* recommend Menzerna Intensive Polish (NOT Super Intensive Polish) on a white LC pad, followed by Menzerna Final Polish II on a gray, blue, or red LC pad.

PO85RD is a Ceramiclear rated polish; it is meant for use on very *hard* clear coats, not very *soft* clear coats like yours. You run the risk of a very bad outcome with it on very soft paints. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Don`t risk it: get the FPII which will finish down beautifully every time.

Would the Intensive Polish be enough to remove the swirls that are on all jet black finishes? I saw that FPII isn`t necessarily the best at swirl removal, but does a great job shining it up.

SuperBee364
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Would the Intensive Polish be enough to remove the swirls that are on all jet black finishes? I saw that FPII isn`t necessarily the best at swirl removal, but does a great job shining it up.

Yes, because your paint is very, very soft. It might take two applications to do it, but Intensive Polish on on white pad with a DA polisher is more than capable of correcting anything in BMW jet black paint that you would feel comfortable correcting. What I mean is that if there is still marring or defects left in your paint after a couple of applications of IP, it is deep enough in the clear that you probably don`t want to go after it anyway.

Keep in mind that you are probably going to cause marring when you are removing the Intensive Polish residue. Don`t be fooled into thinking, "oh, crap, the marring is still there, guess I better do yet another application of IP."

If I were you, I would do *one* application of IP, then follow that up with *one* application of FPII. *Then* examine the finish, and if it needs further correction, do another application of IP, followed up by another application FPII. Always make your inspection decision (as to whether or not to do another application of polish) after an application of FPII, *not* IP.

Yup, Jet Black BMW paint is a *TON* of work. But if you put in the time, it`ll look gorgeous... at least, until the next time you wash it. :nervous2:

Edit: Try not to get discouraged if this gives you fits... There are many pros around here that flat out refuse to do jet black bmw`s because they are *that* difficult to get to finish out well. In one thread, a guy shows pictures of how completely bare (not even the slightest spec of dust on it) Jet BLack BMW clear coat is marred by nothing more than a light rub of an MF towel.

another edit: corrected "orange" pad to "white" LC pad.

imported_DJ Mayo
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Not ALL Jet black BMW`s are super soft. BMW started to resolve the problem in 2008 so some of the later model 2008 built have the normal hard BMW paint. Here is an example of HARD BMW Jet Black.

Jet Black BMW I did (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/123966-2008-jet-black-335i-glossed-up-got-leather.html)

BUT, if yours is the super soft one. Use Menzerna IP, then FP II like Superbee suggested.

SuperBee364
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Not ALL Jet black BMW`s are super soft. BMW started to resolve the problem in 2008 so some of the later model 2008 built have the normal hard BMW paint. Here is an example of HARD BMW Jet Black.

Jet Black BMW I did (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/123966-2008-jet-black-335i-glossed-up-got-leather.html)

BUT, if yours is the super soft one. Use Menzerna IP, then FP II like Superbee suggested.

Glad to hear they finally got rid of that stupid soft clear coat. That car you did in that thread looks a-mazing. I bet the owner was thrilled.

WCM3
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Glad to hear they finally got rid of that stupid soft clear coat. That car you did in that thread looks a-mazing. I bet the owner was thrilled.

What about the combination of M105 on a white pad, followed by M205 on a black/gray pad?