PDA

View Full Version : Eco Products

Pages : [1] 2

spooks
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
If you were to put together a complete list of detailing products for your car and the had to be eco friendly, what would they be?

I`m trying to find out more about which products are eco friendly or eco responsible and which product manufacturers are taking steps to make themselves more environmentally friendly.

I have read alot of late about eco detailing, but not alot about what products are out there - apart from ONR of course!

Finally, is eco detailing about the products, the processes or both? Can you use non eco friendly products in a more responsible manner? ie is a sealant with excellent durability that makes cleaning easier so you use less water eco friendly?

Thinking out loud today!:

gofastman
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I made what I think is a fantastic wheel, tire, and general purpose heavy duty cleaner.

It consist of 1 part Green Earth Technology wheel cleaner to 1 part Simple Green Extreme at a 4:1 dilution ratio.

Its non toxic and biodegradable.

execdetails
11-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I just started using the Freedom Waterless Car Wash products for my mobile and fixed base shop and the products work great. There is definately a learning curve with these products but in the long run it will keep us in business especially with all the EPA issues going on.

jaynick808
11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I made what I think is a fantastic wheel, tire, and general purpose heavy duty cleaner.

It consist of 1 part Green Earth Technology wheel cleaner to 1 part Simple Green Extreme at a 4:1 dilution ratio.

Its non toxic and biodegradable.

how strong is it at that mix?

i tried green earth by itself and it sucked. it felt like `good` apc at 15:1 or higher.

Poordude
11-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Did you read the msds on both chemicals before you mixed em together for compatability. There are about 200 mad chemists killed every year from mixing chemicals before checking for compatability & just because someone claims it,s green or biodegradable does not mean it,s safer. Plutoniam is biodegradable but it takes a million years to do so but you can still make a claim about it.

spooks
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, how do you find the freedom products, was there any reason you pick them over any other?

Has any of you tried or thought about HD for an eco line in your work?

jhonebhrestom
04-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Totally true that for this listed features.I think that a few of them actually save money and do reduce the incremental impact on the environment, but only by a little, and that little reduction is overwhelmed by the increase in goods and the extra damage that increase does.

Candor
05-01-2010, 06:25 AM
What do you consider eco? Many quick detailers would be eco as they do not use water.

Simple Green

HD Total

Just off the top of my hungover head

Rtom
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
HD Car Care.

Pretty much sums up the "green" persona. The nice thing is, it all WORKS, unlike some of the other enviro stuff out there.

willtothewong
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM
HD Car Care.

Pretty much sums up the "green" persona. The nice thing is, it all WORKS, unlike some of the other enviro stuff out there.

yes they do

i have used their:

HD FREE

HD TOTAL

HD ECOWIPES

HD INTERIOR PROTECTANT

and all of them were awesome.

WRXsubaru2010
05-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I am old school and I use soap with some wax, however, I see that many people are using products that clean the cars with no water, any suggestions, there are so many that I do not know what to buy..... Does waterless really works better than QD`s

WRXsubaru2010
05-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I am old school and I use soap with some wax, however, I see that many people are using products that clean the cars with no water, any suggestions, there are so many that I do not know what to buy..... Does waterless really works better than QD`s.

jdudra
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
This is an interesting question. It seems that every manufacturer has their own definition of what "green" means. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of `greenwashing` goes on where there is a large gap between marketing and reality.

Since manufacturers are not obligated to list out all ingredients it is ultimately up to the customer to do their due diligence before selecting a product. Here are some questions to ask:

*Do they list both functional and scientific ingredients? For example, brand A could say "We use plant-based ingredients" but not actually delve into the specifics of those ingredients.

*Do they have MSDS readily available for download?

*Do they have any chemicals relating to Californias Prop 65?

*Are their products water-based or petro-solvent based?

*Are the products readily biodegradable? Readily biodegradable substances degrade > 60-70% within a 10 day window over 28 days.

*Are the bottles #1, #2, or #3 PVC?

*Are sprayers and bottles both 100% recyclable?

Just some food for thought...

Thomas Dekany
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
In theory, a quality steamer is as green as they come. It can replace all the chemicals.

WRXsubaru2010
05-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Just got back from vacation, thanks for your explanation, very informative