PDA

View Full Version : How many times can I do this?

gswearengin
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Hiya guys,

So, first of all a little background: I have a PC7424XP w/HD UNO and a UNOPAD. I am working on a Black Magic Pearl 2007 VW GTI. I have done this exactly once! :) I bought the car used, and it has been well cared for but not babied. There were significant swirls and some areas had rotary holograms.

So, after my first attempt, I am both disappointed and encouraged by the results I am having. The rotary holograms, as far as I can tell, are totally gone, and the swirling is greatly reduced. Basically, my car now looks like a car that is only a few months old and has been well cared for (i.e. not destroyed by the dealer, washed carefully with proper techique)...but there are still quite a few swirls and RIDS.

I also tried to repair some paint chips with varying degrees of success. I would really like to remove some of the touch-up paint, and maybe even try again. There is also some marring from wetsanding (3M 2000 grit) that I did not completely get rid of. I would like to re-attack these areas especially, but would also like to take another shot at getting rid of more of the swirls. I am just afraid I might over do it.

I guess my question is: can I do all of this without being worried about over-thinning the clear coat? Might I be better off following up with something like M205 (or even starting with something more abrasive) or maybe getting a different pad? I was very impressed with the results with HD UNO, especially being a one-step system, but I don`t really have anything to compare it to.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Gary

Renew Detailing
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I`m in the same boat as you! It`s not my car, but I`ve been wondering how many times you can buff a car before you risk finding your pads the same color of the car.:scared: I`ve been using a very similar one step called System One. I just ordered a 9 oz of the HD Uno to try. System One splatters and dusts so hopefully this can replace it. As far as I can tell from videos and such it`s identical to System One, but people say it`s fairly thick and doesn`t dust.

Can you concur? After you buff a car is it covered in white powder? I would really appreciate your feedback. Hopefully someone can help us both with your question.

All I can say about your question is to get a paint thickness gauge. I need one too but don`t feel like spending hundreds of dollars on one.

gswearengin
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Yup, a paint thickness gauge is definitely not in the cards for me. Instead, I`ll have to just eyeball it! :nixweiss

Regarding HD UNO and dust, I was very impressed. The only issue I had was slinging product around when first applying it to the surface...I don`t think there is any way around that. Once it was on, I just worked the HD UNO in until it looked like it had done its thing. I was able to get most of it off really easily with a microfiber towel, and what didn`t come off that way came off really easy with an IPA wipedown. I had intentionally stripped any protectants off the paint anyway, so it was no big deal.

I did have a little trouble removing it at first, but I just worked it in a little more and it became a non-issue. So far, it sounds like you will be pleased with the results of HD UNO vs. System One.

Thanks,

Gary