PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas/advice please..

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I`m planning on turning my garage into a wash bay of sorts. The plan is to properly insulate it, drywall everything (this is main because winters in Chicago are rough and my 75k BTU/hr heater can nicely heat it up in 10-15 mins but it`s pointless without insulation) then create a curtain system that will shield the walls and everything that`s against the walls from water, allowing me to wash cars during winter.

The tricky part is collecting that water and protecting my garage floor from water. Now there`s now way I`m spending upwards of $1500 for a reclamation system when I can build something on my own with a mat and a pump, but the question is what.

Basics would be that the mat hooks up tot he curtain system to further prevent water from flying off to the side, and the curtain would be something like a shower curtain (not material, just attaching points and rail) so that it can easily be stored in one corner and opened when needed. I guess I`m looking mainly for help regarding what materials I can use for these things and what pump would work best.

Thanks in advance.

ps.. if it`s not obvious I`m looking to build something so I can keep detailing throughout winter as I`m losing not only on new clients but can`t offer my regulars washes and wash & waxes from about mid-November to mid/late March.

NSXTASY
10-19-2009, 11:55 AM
What about:

1)hot water

2)Low pressure power washer (ala AutoConcierge) and

3)ONR

4)Large Shopvac with Squeegee wand.

Obviously, not what you are asking. And I know how the winter washing is, ONR is a bit out-gunned.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-20-2009, 08:07 AM
What about:

1)hot water

2)Low pressure power washer (ala AutoConcierge) and

3)ONR

4)Large Shopvac with Squeegee wand.

Obviously, not what you are asking. And I know how the winter washing is, ONR is a bit out-gunned.

I have access to hot water and the power washer. ONR will be used on clients` weekend cars that don`t get all the salt and grime all over them but need a light wash every week or two to get any dust, water spots, etc. off. A large shopvac might be a good idea but I was thinking more towards some sort of water pump/sump pump so I don`t now.

And yea with winters here and all the crap that gets on the car ONR won`t do too much.

imported_Jakerooni
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
ever look into vesqeen? (sp) that material should be exactly what your after. Just get thick enough stuff to handle the car on top of it.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
ever look into vesqeen? (sp) that material should be exactly what your after. Just get thick enough stuff to handle the car on top of it.

Just looked into it now and that might just be perfect, at least for the `curtain` if not the floor.

6 Mil CLEAR Polyethylene Sheeting 6 Mil CLEAR Polyethylene Sheeting 6 Mil Clear Poly [6 Mil Clear Poly] - - It`s Free! : Discount Visqueen, Plasic Polysheeting Supply & Accesories (http://www.discountvisqueen.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=82&zenid=kt8l0ccqdau3eqpqluuas0uuv1)

vtec92civic
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM
sorry this is off topic but Ivan how has business been for you? I never even knew that you actively posted on the forums here.

Looks like you are on the right track.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
sorry this is off topic but Ivan how has business been for you? I never even knew that you actively posted on the forums here.

Looks like you are on the right track.

Business has been but I don`t know/remember who you are, sorry. Remind me.

Turbocress
10-23-2009, 10:52 PM
well.. if you want to pressure wash them, and still recollect the water, and filter it etc do whatever with it.. build a small ramp, at the highest point, 6 inches off the ground to give a decline for water to fall off. and at the bottom, a collection trough tilted to either side from the middle, have 2 smaller ramps running out the opposite direction on the sides, to a drain that leads out th eback of the garage to a catch. then all you have to do is put the curtains on the sides of it, attach them to the top of the ramp to make sure the water sheet onto it, and lift them up after driving a car onto the small ramp.... you can pressure wash, collect the water, and have it stored somewhere that you can either filter and dump, or just dump if it doesnt matter for where you live.

hope you get what im saying heh.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
well.. if you want to pressure wash them, and still recollect the water, and filter it etc do whatever with it.. build a small ramp, at the highest point, 6 inches off the ground to give a decline for water to fall off. and at the bottom, a collection trough tilted to either side from the middle, have 2 smaller ramps running out the opposite direction on the sides, to a drain that leads out th eback of the garage to a catch. then all you have to do is put the curtains on the sides of it, attach them to the top of the ramp to make sure the water sheet onto it, and lift them up after driving a car onto the small ramp.... you can pressure wash, collect the water, and have it stored somewhere that you can either filter and dump, or just dump if it doesnt matter for where you live.

hope you get what im saying heh.

Yea that was the original idea but the little thought I`ve given the ramp I haven`t figured out a way to make something that`s fairly portable/easy to store. That and my garage isn`t very high so that wouldn`t be the best solution.

Leadfootluke
10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Out of curiosity, how big is your garage? Is it attached? and are the walls going to have tools, etc on them, or are you covering them for the sake of protecting the drywall and not something hanging from them.

Turbocress
10-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Yea that was the original idea but the little thought I`ve given the ramp I haven`t figured out a way to make something that`s fairly portable/easy to store. That and my garage isn`t very high so that wouldn`t be the best solution.

they do make special foul weather mats as well.

they are large floor mats to drive on, with raised sides, so when snow falls off, it is caught on the mat.

you could easily buy a very large mat like this with the catching interior.... pressure wash quickly (or do the top half first) since pressure washing uses much less water. and then vacuum it up, and dump in a sink after vacuuming..

doing this would allow you to be "mobile" as well.. but to keep water from flying everywhere, you would have to have a curtain system as well...

Garage Floor Coverings with Free Shipping Park Smart Clean Park garage mat. Free shipping. Holds liquids (http://www.garagestyle.com/product/PARKSMART/Park_Smart_Clean_Park_garage_mat_Free_shipping_Hol ds_liquids.html)

they come in 9x20... im sure you could find something similar, but something that size, will hold a large amount of water when its spread out over a 9 foot by 22 foot area... an average non compact car will be around 6-7 ft wide and 14-17ft long..... leaves you about a foot on each side and 2-2.5ft front and back.

imported_Ivan Rajic
10-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Out of curiosity, how big is your garage? Is it attached? and are the walls going to have tools, etc on them, or are you covering them for the sake of protecting the drywall and not something hanging from them.

It`s a standard 20x22 foot garage and not attached. There will be tools hanging on walls and yes I am doing the curtain system to protect the tools, drywall, space heater, etc. etc.

they do make special foul weather mats as well.

they are large floor mats to drive on, with raised sides, so when snow falls off, it is caught on the mat.

you could easily buy a very large mat like this with the catching interior.... pressure wash quickly (or do the top half first) since pressure washing uses much less water. and then vacuum it up, and dump in a sink after vacuuming..

doing this would allow you to be "mobile" as well.. but to keep water from flying everywhere, you would have to have a curtain system as well...

Garage Floor Coverings with Free Shipping Park Smart Clean Park garage mat. Free shipping. Holds liquids (http://www.garagestyle.com/product/PARKSMART/Park_Smart_Clean_Park_garage_mat_Free_shipping_Hol ds_liquids.html)

they come in 9x20... im sure you could find something similar, but something that size, will hold a large amount of water when its spread out over a 9 foot by 22 foot area... an average non compact car will be around 6-7 ft wide and 14-17ft long..... leaves you about a foot on each side and 2-2.5ft front and back.

That`s exactlywhat I`m looking for but in `raw materials`... I`m not going to pay $200 for a piece of vinyl haha.. I`ll be searching to source the 20mil or thicker vinyl and simply attach it to a 4x4 or something all around then somehow have the wood fold... this way it`ll slope toward the center and curtain will be easy to attach...

Thanks for the info man, definitely gives me good ideas... if only you could find me a 18-20 foot sheet of vinyl about 9-12 feet wide :2thumbs:

Turbocress
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
It`s a standard 20x22 foot garage and not attached. There will be tools hanging on walls and yes I am doing the curtain system to protect the tools, drywall, space heater, etc. etc.

That`s exactlywhat I`m looking for but in `raw materials`... I`m not going to pay $200 for a piece of vinyl haha.. I`ll be searching to source the 20mil or thicker vinyl and simply attach it to a 4x4 or something all around then somehow have the wood fold... this way it`ll slope toward the center and curtain will be easy to attach...

Thanks for the info man, definitely gives me good ideas... if only you could find me a 18-20 foot sheet of vinyl about 9-12 feet wide :2thumbs:

your looking at having to buy vinyl in raw material then, and youd probably have to connect them together with heat to form something that wide, 9 feet is probably one of the widest sheets available for the manufacturing process.

and for the sides, why use 2x4??? go buy some rubber weather stripping for heavy duty applications, ive used rubber stripping that consists of a 1 inch wide by half inch tall pieces.... stacking two of them or making it stand up wouldnt be too hard, and then attaching it with a fairly good waterproof plastic/vinyl cement or epoxy, you could save about 70-80 bucks, but is it really worth the hassle? the sides on those thing say they detach, contact them and ask if you can connect two mats together or not, or ask them if they can make you one for a special application.