PDA

View Full Version : NO/ Low abrisive wax/ sealant remover

imported_Devilsown
10-19-2009, 06:25 AM
I started my http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/124447-winter-wax-sealant.html post and forgot to add what would be a LOW or NO abrasive wax/ sealant remover. I have my paint polished damn near perfection and have no need to polish it, at least for a while. I have ALL of the Menz and Opt line, and just don`t want to polish for a "bare surface" I think I`ve read rubbing alcohol works great but that raised my brow:think2. Whats the next best choice for a good remover, keep in mind I`m more than willing to buy more products.

Cheers

imported_Devilsown
10-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I must say I thought I`d have at least one person chime in.

Bobby G
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
IPA mixed 50/50 with water is a very effective wax/sealant remover. Plus, it`s cheap! Get a pint from your local hardware store for a few bucks.

Various forms of IPA are in most of the detail sprays you use. As long as you don`t go over 50/50 mix it`s pretty safe. Even down to a 4:1 mixture ti will effectively kill most waxes.

STSInNYC
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
I use Meguair`s Crystal Paint Cleaner, light abrasives, works well on our soft Honda paint.

dennn
10-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I am not sure if much people here use it, but I like Chemical Guys` Citrus Cleaner.

It removes wax and sealant quite well if mixed at their prescribed ratio.

Accumulator
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
.... As long as you don`t go over 50/50 mix [IPA]`s pretty safe.

What`re the potential concerns with more potent IPA mixes?

SuperBee364
10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I gotta say that Hi-Temp`s Prep Wash is about the best there is for doing exactly what you are asking about.

After washing your car, just use it like you would a QD: spray it on, wait a few seconds, and wipe it off. It`ll strip your paint bare. I then follow up the Prep Wash with IPA mixed at 50/50 to distilled water. Talk about clean, bare paint... wow.

You can also use it as part of your regular wash regimen if you want to strip the whole car.

If I just want to re-LSP one panel, I do an ONR wash on the panel, then a QD application of Prep Wash, and a QD style IPA wipedown, then apply the LSP.

Hi Temp Prep Wash is one of those products that I`m so impressed with, I`d buy everyone a sample of it if I could. It really is a *superior* product.

SuperBee364
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
What`re the potential concerns with more potent IPA mixes?

I hope there aren`t any, cause often times I use it at straight 91% on stubborn areas. :nervous2:

The only reason I cut it with water is to save money, really.

Accumulator
10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I gotta say that Hi-Temp`s Prep Wash is about the best there is for doing exactly what you are asking about....[it`s].. is one of those products that I`m so impressed with, I`d buy everyone a sample of it if I could. It really is a *superior* product.

Yeah, same opinion here.

I hope there aren`t any [risks in using straight IPA], cause often times I use it at straight 91% on stubborn areas..

Same here, though my latest bottles are the weaker concentration (70% IIRC).