PDA

View Full Version : Tar on wheels for MONTHS

99GrandAM
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Hello to all...been a little busy the past few months or so, so I haven`t been on as much as I would have liked.

One question for the heck of it. My dad has a `09 Sonata Limited and in the spring was going through a new construction zone and managed to drive through tar. Needless to say the tar got in some of the crevices of the spokes...but most of it landed in the inner part of the rim. Back then he asked me what to do and I told him to get it off right then and there, as if delayed the tar would bond to the rim. Well, he kept putting it off and putting it off and now he really wants to get them off. I told him that there might not be much hope since its been on the wheels for so long.

Tried to use Eagle One AZ Tire cleaner, didn`t work...and the chunks are too big to use a claybar on. Bug and Tar remover didn`t really work either. Anything else we can try? I`m pretty much settled on that it won`t come off now without drastic measurements....but just thought I`d ask for other opinions. Thanks!

Keith540
10-18-2009, 07:46 AM
I just cleaned the backs of my rims. I had some heavy tar spots that I used a plastic putty knife to knock off the high spots and then WD-40 to remove the remaining spots. Worked great, and after that a good cleaning and a coat of wax - they look like new again.

Darkstar752
10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Stoner`s Tarminator has taken care of all the tar I`ve been against. If it`s big, chip off the top, then spray it with Tarminator then let soak, wipe, repeat as necessary.

99GrandAM
10-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Alright, cool thanks guys!