PDA

View Full Version : My winter wash method w/ONR is easy & quick

imported_detail1
10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I know there are many threads about ONR but i wanted to share mine. I really have not used ONR much until now that the weather is cool/cold in NY.

Last year, I relied on using a local hand car wash but I am not returning there bc: 1. Dont trust their dirty bucket of water & wash mits. 2. I always supplied my own MF drying towel and the immigrant worker always gave me funny looks.

My car was not too dirty but it`s white and it can always use a wash. I didnt want to take out the hose bc its too cold for me.

1. Filled up 1 bucket with very warm water.

2. Filled up 2nd bucket w/4 caps of ONR & very warm water.

(Water was actually HOT. Need to adjust this next time)

3. Used 2 Proline Grout sponges.

4. Washed 1 panel at a time & then rinsed sponge in water bucket.

5. Did not dry each panel.

6. Had good amount of ONR & water left I quickly washed my dad`s car too.

7. Took car for a ride on highway to dry.

8. Noticed that ONR does not air dry as well as regular soap.

9. Pat dried rear window, trunk & bumpers w/The Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave. - This is an amzing drying towel! - Thick and absorbent.

Done!

The Enforcer
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
why wouldnt you dry each panel?

imported_detail1
10-17-2009, 07:54 PM
why wouldnt you dry each panel?

Trying to spend as little time as possible outside!

Driving on the highway is easier during this season.

Dsoto87
10-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I dont get what the method is....

So you washed it panel by panel, like its supposed to be used....

Than you decided not to dry it at first but came back and dried it later......

You could have saved some gas and time by just drying the panel

MichaelSpoots
10-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I wouldn`t dry a car by driving it...I`m too concerned about all the bugs and stuff in the air that will cling to my paint, which sort of defeats the purpose of having washed it in the first place! :p Plus, you still have to come back and clean up all the water streaks and tend to the details (if details are important to you).

What I can agree with, is that ONR is awesome! :clap:

efnfast
10-17-2009, 11:16 PM
ONR is awesome :clap: but you probably marred the heck out of your car by driving it THEN drying it - there`s dirt in the air and the road that will get kicked up onto it.

imported_detail1
10-17-2009, 11:29 PM
ONR is awesome :clap: but you probably marred the heck out of your car by driving it THEN drying it - there`s dirt in the air and the road that will get kicked up onto it.

Never thought about that. I think, next time, I will pat dry the car instead of driving it. Thanks for everyone`s input.

i use a leaf blower ONLY to dry the car in the summer bc I dont want to marr the paint by drying it with a MF. Guess I was wrong.

hot rod
10-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Never thought about that. I think, next time, I will pat dry the car instead of driving it. Thanks for everyone`s input.

i use a leaf blower ONLY to dry the car in the summer bc I dont want to marr the paint by drying it with a MF. Guess I was wrong.

I think you will really like the end result once you dry the panel. ONR has a nice pop to it.

efnfast
10-18-2009, 02:05 AM

That`s the `bad` part about white/silvers (and why I love them so now) - you can have a potentially horrible washing regime and almost never see the damage.

I just drive black around the block and bam, covered in a light layer of road dust *sigh*

If the paint`s cleaned properly you won`t marr it with a quality mf - think about it for a minute - you polish your car and buff off the polish residue. If you take a mf towel and rub the paint, what will happen - nothing. Why - it`s a clean surface. Same theory goes with washing. If it marrs, either the media wasn`t clearcoat safe (dirty, old, etc...), or you didn`t wash it properly.

I also love the leaf blower - I don`t know if this is because I have ultra hard water or not, but I can`t fully blow-dry the vehicle - I find after 2 passes it tends to leave hundreds of tiny water spots all over...almost as if the water is drying as it`s blowing off.

Boston Man
10-18-2009, 06:58 AM
I think ONR not drying as well as regular soap has to do with you using hot water. Hot water sits in your water tank and has all the sediment and minerals and stuff so you`ll get water spots. The cold water you used with your regular soap is "fresh."

JeffM
10-18-2009, 07:18 AM
If i miss drying my mirrors with onr, it looks horrible.

WaxManRonnie
10-18-2009, 08:03 AM
I wouldn`t dry a car by driving it...I`m too concerned about all the bugs and stuff in the air that will cling to my paint, which sort of defeats the purpose of having washed it in the first place! :p Plus, you still have to come back and clean up all the water streaks and tend to the details (if details are important to you).

What I can agree with, is that ONR is awesome! :clap:

No bugs when it`s cold out. But I still wouldn`t drive it to dry it.

Turbocress
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
you should never drive a car to dry it.

the second you hit the road and dust in the air clings to the wet paint, its over. you may as well not wash it again or use a very solid quick detailer or waterless wash to clean it off when you get back, which defeats the purpose of it.

all that dust on the car is going to cause tons of marring and swirls.

ive seen a bunch of people do this for some reason... which is, wash the car, and to save time, they just drive it around. and then dry it when they get somewhere else (dirt bath). not worried about bugs, worried about dirt, and brake dust. the road isnt completely clean, think of all the stuff that will be slung around by your tires. they are wet after you wash, and will sling dirty water onto the car as well