PDA

View Full Version : Products that revolutionized detailing?

Dan
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
What are some products you feel revolutionized the detailing industry?

For me:

ClayMagic - It brought back that new feeling to paint without having to use a strong chemical cleaner.

Microfiber towels - much less marring than with "terry"

Zaino Z2 - quite a few sealants existed before zaino, many of us used them, but Zaino was the first one for me with real pop.

imported_ZimRandy
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
PC7424 with the velcro pads.

RaskyR1
10-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Not really a product, but detailing forums! ;)

Accumulator
10-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Somebody`s gonna say it, might as well be me- M105.

A few years ago it was a mighty tall order to correct hard-clear vehicles without a rotary, but now most anybody can do it.

Try doing fingernail scratches behind Audi door handles with only stuff that was on the market a few years back, you`ll see what I mean ;)

mc2hill
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
IMO, still not widely known to the general public: Optimum No Rinse car wash

Amazing product for the small amount of water used and ability to wash inside the garage.

Dan
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Forgot another old one...

Armor All - Before this stuff, people were using all sorts of crazy crap on tires and interiors.

Scottwax
10-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Foam buffing pads

DA polishers

Detailing clay

Microfiber towels

ONR/QEW

Meguiars #105

3M Ultrafina

JeffM
10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Has to be detailing forums for me. Before autopia i would slap on some otc wax admire it for a day and wonder why in a week it was gone.

After that i would have to say the pc, then KAIO

dennn
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
It`s hard to say what revolutionized detailing. Many products we are using are simply evolved from earlier products.

Perhaps the Electric Dual Action Buffer is one of them. It is powerful enough to remove some serious swirls and scratches, but also extremely gentle that it would not burn off edges. It is also much lighter and smaller than the rotary, which makes it less tiring to use.

As many people on here can attest, Surbuf Microfinger technology has changed the way we perceive the DA Buffer. With the Surbuf pad, one could achieve cutting rate as quickly as a light/medium duty wool pad and rotary, but with much less risk of paint overheating! Heck, the Surbuf pad works much cooler than a medium cutting pad!!! The Surbuf pad is great if you don`t want to be bothered with the tiresome rotary, but need some ultra fast cutting action.

jfelbab
10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
March 15, 1995, I discovered the power of a PC. That changed my whole operation. That same PC has done over 3,000 corrections and it`s still going strong.

dennn
10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I bought my PC in 1997. I used it mainly to apply consumer products such as the Mother`s and Meguiar`s 3 step systems.

I am not new to "detailing", but because I am new to detailing forums, I am often criticized for being inexperienced.

So yeah, I agree with the above that internet forums change detailing as we know it, although it isnt a product per se. However detailing forums has also been the breeding ground for self-proclaimed elitists.

MichaelSpoots
10-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Armor All - Before this stuff, people were using all sorts of crazy crap on tires and interiors.

I thought Ar**rAll was the crazy crap that people use on their tires and interiors :laugh:!

Something that I tried for the first time today, and I absolutely love it so far -- Optimum No-Rinse!

I can`t tell you how much water it`s going to save me. And the appearance it leaves on my car is very similar to UQD, which is great! I`m in love...

lasthope05
10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Forgot another old one...

I remember when people were putting brake fluid on as tire shine!!! :eek:

imported_Larry A
10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Brake fluid would work , but it would take the paint off your rims. We use to use Clear Floor Wax on tires, Pledge on interior vinyl, and Saddle Soap for leather.

imported_Jakerooni
10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
liquid soap was a pretty good invention. Oh and a shop vac....Oh and anything with a ton of fillers...:rotfl instant results in a fraction of time ;) dealers around the world rejoiced... Snake worm companies cashed in and got rich...