PDA

View Full Version : Tar removal- using paste wax??

dickie
10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Has anyone tried using a paste wax to removal tar off

paint? Or does anybody have tips to removing tar.

I need a more efficant way to remove tar, currently been using store bought

tar removal and/or a.p.c. Full strength.

Ryan

craigdt
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
If an APC wont work, then I dont see why a paste wax would work.

Try a claybar.

MichaelSpoots
10-16-2009, 10:41 AM
For tar specs and tar nuggets stuck on the inside dish of wheels, I`ve had success by letting some Body Solvent dwell on the area for about 90 seconds...then the tar usually brushes right off with a brush. However, body solvent does nothing for me when it comes to paint and wheel wells.

imported_Jakerooni
10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
if it`s speckles of tar a good clay bar will do just fine. Other wise there are more aggressive methods. From body shop prep sol. to varnish....and a few things in between but those method should only be used by someone that knows what they are doing with it and as a very last resort.

imported_paintxpert
10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
use WD-40 or any good tar remover. Always use a plastic scrunge pad from a local supermarket, same as you use on dishes...it is plastic and wont harm the paint.

dickie
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I sometimes use wd-40, thanks for replies. So nobody ever heard

of using a paste wax or wax in general to remove tar.

MichaelSpoots
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
nobody ever heard

of using a paste wax or wax in general to remove tar.

Correct. It goes against logic, but who knows; maybe that`s some secret trick that some people have. :p

RaskyR1
10-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Tarminator works well and can be found in local stores, just let it dwell for a few minutes.

Accumulator
10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I suppose it`s a matter of the solvents in all LSPs. Even non-cleaner/straight waxes will effect a little cleaning; ever hit some residual dirt with your wax applicator and then notice that it`s soiled?

TOL used to sell a cleaner-wax called Snap Seal that was made just for this; as best I can tell it`s basically a high-solvent liquid wax. It cleans off tar and left some LSP protection. Haven`t used it in ages, but I still have a jug or two on the shelf.

Back in the `70s some of us used Meguiar`s #7 as a mild cleaner, it worked OK.

I usually clay such stuff off myself, or use a solvent if redoing the LSP is worth a quicker removal of the tar.

Be careful using textured media with solvents, all such stuff that I`ve tried marred paint for me, it looked especially awful under magnification. I won`t even use "bug sponges" on painted surfaces, though I do like them for glass. I use very soft cloths, letting the solvent do the work rather than relying on mechanical action; if I want to employ a mechanical method I`ll use clay.

kaptain_zero
10-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I keep one of those bottles of Mequiars Cleaner wax from their clay kits in my trunk for the occasional tar splatter... something that is quite common here during the spring. If I get a major amount of tar splatter on the paint, I`ll grab the large bottle of Megs cleaner wax and sort of massage it around with my fingers but gently. It dissolves tar as well as anything short of straight mineral spirits and when I wipe off the excess and leave the slight coating to haze, it`s already protected by wax until the next time I do a full LSP.

To be honest, if it`s really bad (tar wise), I`ll reach for the Collinite 845. That stuff must be half mineral spirits or painters naphtha (aka Coleman fuel) based on the smell alone!

I`ve tried quite a few of the so called tar remover products but honestly, the cheapo burgundy bottle of cleaner wax from Megs does a fine job... just don`t rush it... it needs a bit of dwell time and then a bit of massaging with clean finger tips and the tar dissolves. If I wipe dry, I just put on another thin coat of the stuff, allow to haze and then buff off. No harm done to the paint and no worries that the solvent will be too harsh.

Regards

Kaptain "I love Megs Cleaner wax" Zero

PSU 98
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I always have a couple cans of Stoner`s Tarminator in my garage. It melts tar right off the car.

red kiosk
10-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I recently used a product called GOO GONE to take tar off the insides of my wheels and a few small spots on the paint. Worked like a champ and didn`t do any damage to the Zymol estate glaze that was on the car. Just be sure to keep it away from any wheel weights, because it does a great job of dissolving adhesive.

Take care!

Jim

salty
10-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I`ve found Z2 good for fresh tar, but is it is old, dried on tar, then I find it easier to use a solvent first.

imported_Bence
10-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Klasse/Carlack/Grojet/R71 etc. AIOs are great for tar spots.