PDA

View Full Version : BMW Jet Black question

HowardPearson
10-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I have seen the recent issues with BMW Jet Black color being super soft.

I am looking into buying a 2004-2006 BMW 330Ci.

I would like to know if the jet black color during this time period is also very soft.

TIA

imported_DJ Mayo
10-15-2009, 09:36 PM
yes, buy the sapphire black metallic i believe it is.

Hey, Moe!
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
As far as BMW goes, Jet Black is Jet Black. It can look wonderful, but "high maintenance" doesn`t begin to describe it.

Based on the advice of detailers on this site, I bought a Black Sapphire Metallic BMW. I am glad I did, even though I have plenty of time to detail my ride.

Jet Black can be the mistress you wish you had never met.

Hope you find a nice 330!

HowardPearson
10-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am looking for a late model 330 (preferably ZHP) in the Northern NJ/NYC area if anyone knows of one for sale

Shuskan3
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
A had a jet black E46 for 2.5 years, high maintenance doesn`t even begin to describe it. It is literally like a part time job, never again. I now have a carbon black M3 which I am much happier with even though it can be a pain too.

Good luck in your search!

vtec92civic
10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
yeah the jet black is nice but talk about being able to see everything. Plan to spend a lot of time washing and taking care of it. The metallic blacks are still a little tough to care for but you have the metallic flake to kind of mask a little bit of things.

Black = Excellent Looks when clean but also = Very Very High Maintenance.

Had a nice lifted 06 Quad cab Tacoma in metallic black and never again will i do it. I literally use to dread washing my truck. It took me usually almost 3 hours to just wash. No wax, No Interior just wash.

WhataVUE
10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Aside from being a PITA to maintain, my experience with the color you are talking about for the BMWs was really nice to work on. Its not like the current Jetblack

Thats Fresh
10-16-2009, 07:43 AM
if youre looking for a black e46, id suggest getting the Sapphire Metallic black. if you do get Jet Black be prepared to pull your hair out bc its swirls quick and easy. thats why i shaved my head bc as anal as i am, i would have pulled all my hair out, lOL j.k. but i can guarantee you, i have the cleanest JetBlack BMW for miles (= People dont realize how much work in maintenance is needed to keep a swirl free JetBlack BMW

dinansm3
10-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I also had a jet black E46 for 2 years and it was a pain, it looksgreat perfect but so hard to keep that way. I know own a Carbon Black M3 and a way much nicer color

BostonDuce
10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I`m on my second sapphire black, and it`s much easier to keep it looking swirl free ( if there is such a thing).

The only thing is about sapphire is that it looks dusty 2 minutes after you finish wiping it down- the way the metallic reflects light I think it magnifies the dusty look.

Porsche`s basalt black is the same way.

BD

HowardPearson
10-17-2009, 09:18 AM
I am really torn with this decision. I have found the exact 330Ci ZHP that I want, however its Jet Black.

I have had two solid back Audi A4`s before, so I know what it takes to keep a back car looking good, but I was really trying to avoid this Jet Black color. UGH!

ALAN81
10-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a black metallic BMW and I use Fuzion or Pete`s 53 and the car looks great.Its all in the prep work.

efnfast
10-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I hate all black cars equally ... will never own another black car again as long as I live :rofl

Dowe
10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
i have a e60 sapphire black. its supposed to be much easier to keep clean than jet black, but i can tell you its still a lot of work... certainly more than than my wife`s sand dollar lexus gx (OT: that paint is spectacular). my exerience with the sapphire is it tends to show swirls pretty fast, but then, i like to keep a clean car :)