PDA

View Full Version : My paint is losing its vibrant color

putertopia
10-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi,

First off, I`m not sure if this is the right section or not, so sorry in advance if I messed up.

I just bought a 95 Mustang GT in the rare Sapphire Blue. Now I`ve seen some really sweet pictures of this car, and my car looks quite eye-catching at night, but it does not have the vibrant luster as seen in this car: Sapphire Blue 1995 Mustang GT Convertible - MustangAttitude.com Photo Detail (http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=search&line=1255581579&pic=/1995/1995_00009_01)

I`ve also got sun swirls galore, and one slightly deep scratch that cut through the clearcoat near the gas tank.

My main concern is how do I restore the vibrancy and as close to mirror finish as possible to this car? I don`t necessarily mean show car standards, but as to what my friends are usually used to seeing with my vehicles (I keep them very clean, I`m always either made fun or of complimented for how clean they usually car lol). I am a college student, so budget is a big part of this, but I do own a UDM rotary buffer.

I`ve used 3M Heavy Cutting, Ultra-fine and Final glaze on previous applications. 3M heavy cutting is going to remain on the self, as that stuff is a bit too potent for me to mess with. My hood had been resprayed at some point in a previous ownership on my Bonneville and when I used the 3M stuff, it burnt right through the chincy clear coat and left behind marks that typically only I could see, but I knew they were there behind the Jade metallic dark paint and so did my other detailing knowledgeable friends.

Here`s the one picture I have of my car yet, and the video was intended for an exhaust clip but it gives you a good idea on reflection. The rear bumper is probably the dullest part of the car, along with the pillars and spoiler has some water spots from our intense well water (must have missed that with the chamois and let it sit in the sun).

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/putertopia/mustang/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/putertopia/mustang/th_MVI_0002.jpg (http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/putertopia/mustang/?action=view&current=MVI_0002.flv)

It has been garage kept its entire life, so that should help a bit. Let me know if you need more specific shots. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. And yes, I know I will have to clay it first, but not sure if that will make a change in itself, the previous owners were VERY dirty though.

imported_detail1
10-15-2009, 05:20 AM
R u going to use the 3m or do u want suggestions?

If u have the funds, I would use Megs 105 & 205 OR Menzerna SIP and Menzerna FPII.

Then LSP of ur choice.

I think that Menzerna gives the BEST gloss out of all the polishes that I have used. Never used Ultrafine, but have only read great things about it.

Dan
10-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Ahhh, last year of the 5.0. Love the sound of that motor. Those aren`t wheels from a 95 are they?

From your choice of polishes, it seems like you have very agressive and mild stuff. If you don`t do a lot of corrections, I`d just grab the 105/205 combo from ADS in the 12oz sample size or the Optimum 3 pack in 8oz sizes from Autogeek. Both are great polish systems that are well regarded here. Do you have a good selection of pads?

mikemurphy234
10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Where are you located? Maybe a member near you could help out.

putertopia
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Yep, I do believe the PO grabbed those wheels off of a 2000 GT. Thanks, I`m very happy with it.

I`m located in south central PA. Yes, I have four different level cut CSS pads ranging from a yellow cutting pad to a black finishing pad.

I love meguiars products, but haven`t gotten a chance to try their polishing products, only their consumer products and a few dealer line products (accent coating, hyper dressing, the awesome last touch stuff).

Perhaps now is the time to make a change, I`ll check out the 105/205. Here`s an example of my last car and how I want this car to look, ya think it`s possible?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/putertopia/brokencar/hdr2.jpg

Yeah, photoshop adds to the effect, but that car was truly reflective.

Thanks guys.

putertopia
10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Just checked out a few of the products you guys offered. I think I`m going with the 12oz M105/205 combo, and would it hurt to add an 8 oz bottle of the optimum poliseal? Is 8 oz enough to get at least one coat on the entire coat, or should I consider more?

Dan
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Poliseal is nice, but I`d spring for Optiseal, waaaayyyy more pop. That bottle will last you years. If you do get Poli-seal, the 8oz is enough to do 4 or 5 cars that have clean paint (which you willa fter 205).

putertopia
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Ok, I`m always down for a better product, and it looks like this entire order will still be under $50 which was my target. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan
10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how good the car will look with that combo!