PDA

View Full Version : CCS pad users-Help!

mikenap
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I`m running into a problem working on a friends truck, and I think maybe the pads may be the problem. He has a black 97 Nissan Hardbody pickup that is beat up beyond belief. It`s taken me most of the day to compound just 1 rear quarter with M105 on 4" flat LC pads with my PCXP. The swirls have come out, and a bit of the deeper scratches too, but the 105 has left its own haze, what looks like micro-fine swirling when viewed under halogens. Nothing new, I`ve seen that before.

The problem is when I switch to a white CCS pad and 205, the hazing clears up just fine but if you look closely, now there are tiny half-moon scratches on the finish. Not a lot of them, but they are randomly scattered and I can`t seem to get rid of them. I`ve tried 205 on white CCS, 205 on orange flat, and XMT1 on black CCS but they won`t go away. This paint is super soft, so I`m wondering if there`s a chance the CCS dimples may be causing this. Unfortunately, all my pads except the 4" orange are CCS pads. If anyone has any ideas, please help.

For the record, I used this combo on my wife`s soft, black Honda paint and didn`t see anything like this. Please help, I`m going :hairpull here.

audicoupej
10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Could it be something that was in the paint before you started?

I`ve seen what your talking about before but it was under the clear on repainted panels.

Have you tried the 105 with a white pad, then step down to a polish with the white pad?

evolutionwc3
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey Mike- Assuming that you`ve closely inspected the paint prior to polishing and the surface was void of such marks, I`d rewash the pads. It`s possible that some old product might have dried around/near the dimples and is marring the paint at certain angles and pressures. Let us know how this turns out

mikenap
10-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys, I think maybe it is something dried around the dimples. I found a spot w/those marks and hit it again with M105 on the 4" flat orange. Moons were gone, hazing returned. Then I went straight to another 4" flat orange with M205, and I now I believe they`re gone. If this is something that might happen often w/CCS pads, do you recommend switching to flat pads instead?

Legacy
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys, I think maybe it is something dried around the dimples. I found a spot w/those marks and hit it again with M105 on the 4" flat orange. Moons were gone, hazing returned. Then I went straight to another 4" flat orange with M205, and I now I believe they`re gone. If this is something that might happen often w/CCS pads, do you recommend switching to flat pads instead?Iv`e switched to flat pads long ago. Now I have a ton of ccs pads collecting dust.