PDA

View Full Version : Removing Vinyl Decals

unleashedfury
10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I purchased another car.. Used of course.. 99 Saturn L Series

Its in need of some TLC for the exterior. I mean someone went hay wire with touch up paint. And I can see it a mile away. I hope to get all this fixed up over the winter.

But Theres a vinyl decal on the rear window. I want it gone. I am nobody`s billboard and Don`t give free advertisment.

So I was thinking a plastic razor blade, and A low heat range on a heat gun. Will this actually work? Or is there a better method?

salty
10-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Clean the window.

Spray some mineral spirits on the decal (as a lube) and genitally use a razor blade.

Keep the razor blade flat on the glass and it won`t scratch.

After the decal is gone, spray window again with mineral spirits and razor blade most of the glue off.

Final wipe of glue and your done.

Carticular
10-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I like 3M Adhesive Remover or Goo Gone.

BigAl3
10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
spray some window cleaner on the decal, use the plastic razor blade and slowly remove it...

smokin180
10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Vegetable oil let sit for a while should come right off. I saw somebody do this and it worked. It was an older gentleman at a car show.

Vdubby18
10-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Razor blade. Comes off with no problems.

unleashedfury
10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks Guys...

Yeah I figures some sort of solovent. I prefer Plastic Razor blades. More chances to make a mistake and not as noticeable If I were to screw up with a actual metal one.

dennn
10-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Heating it prior with either a steamer or a hair dryer (NOT HEAT GUN) helps tremendously. It prevents residue leaving behind, which saves effort as well as chemical cleaners.

unleashedfury
10-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Heating it prior with either a steamer or a hair dryer (NOT HEAT GUN) helps tremendously. It prevents residue leaving behind, which saves effort as well as chemical cleaners.

The only reason I said Heat gun is becuase the one I have has multiple settings. Like 1 where is low heat.. Warm your hands on a cold day. and 5 that will make hell feel like a cool place :D

BobD
10-19-2009, 06:34 AM
If it`s just a vinyl decal on the glass a simple hair dryer is usually enough and just heat it and pull it off. I rarely even get adhesive left behind doing this. For adesive removal though I find Oil-Flo to be the best.